The New Jersey Devils and defenseman Adam Larsson have avoided an arbitration hearing scheduled for next week after the two sides came a deal announced Saturday.
The Devils announced via Twitter that they re-signed the 22-year-old blue liner to a six-year contract, worth a total of almost $25 million. According to the club, the new deal comes with an annual average value of $4,166,666.67.
Larsson’s salary breakdown under this new deal includes $2.5 million this season, before earning $5.05 million and $5.1 million, respectively, in the final two years of the deal.
Last week, Devils GM Ray Shero was confident the two sides would be able to figure out a new deal, perhaps even before they were to go to arbitration.
Last season, Larsson, taken fourth overall in the 2011 NHL Draft, posted three goals and 24 points — career highs for him — in 64 games, leading all New Jersey defensemen in points.
In April, it was reported the Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League filed for bankruptcy. At the end of this week, it was announced that club has a new owner.
Jim Waters, owner of JAW Hockey Enterprises LP, announced in a statement that his acquisition of the Otters was now complete.
“Today is a very special day for me. I am thrilled to be the new owner of the Erie Otters,” Waters said in a statement.
“The team is fortunate to play in a first class facility in front of great fans. We will now work to enhance the product, our presentation and brand. I would like to thank OHL Commissioner David Branch and the OHL Board of Governors for their support and approval.”
According to GoErie.com, Waters purchased the team for $7.225 million and has pledged to keep the team in Erie.
The Boston Bruins may have gone off the radar with their 15th overall pick in last month’s NHL Draft, selecting Zach Senyshyn out of the Ontario Hockey League. But the 18-year-old winger seems out to prove critics wrong.
Senyshyn was well down the order in Central Scouting’s Final Rankings, sitting 38th amongst North American skaters heading into the draft. But the Bruins, on what was an eventful day for that franchise to say the least, used the 15th overall pick and third straight selection in the opening round, to take the rookie winger from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.
This past season, Senyshyn’s first full season in the OHL, he scored 26 goals and 45 points in 66 games. According to multiple reports, he also had a strong showing at Boston’s prospects camp.
“It was nice to be able to show what I could do, and go out there and score a couple of goals,” Senyshyn told CSNNE.com.
“The Bruins showed a lot of belief in my abilities, and I have a lot of belief in my own abilities. It was nice to see their belief in me, and I wanted to show them that they did right by taking me in that spot. And not just by scoring a couple of goals in a game, but also by being really attentive in all of the on-ice sessions during the week.”
The Dallas Stars have been busy this summer. However, one of the players they seem to feel so optimistic about heading into the 2015-16 season comes from within their organization.
Valeri Nichushkin, 20, showed plenty of potential in his rookie season with the Stars two seasons ago, scoring 14 goals and 34 points in 79 games. But last season, he played in only eight games and recorded only a single assist.
A hip injury that required surgery greatly disrupted his sophomore season, keeping him out of the Stars lineup from early in November until the beginning of April, when he was recalled for a late push by Dallas to try and make the playoffs.
“We’ve got high expectations for him. He ended up playing in the last four games of the season and it was great to see the chemistry that him Jason Spezza and Ales Hemsky,” said Stars GM Jim Nill, via the Dallas Morning News.
“They played together and it was amazing to watch. We’re excited. We think that they could be something special.”
Earlier this week, the Stars signed Johnny Oduya to a two-year deal worth $7.5 million. Prior to that, they acquired Patrick Sharp from the Chicago Blackhawks.
According to Adam Vingan of The Tennessean, the Nashville Predators and 25-year-old center Craig Smith have an arbitration hearing scheduled for Monday.
This, according to Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet, shows what separates the two sides heading into that hearing:
Smith, a restricted free agent, has emerged with back-to-back 20-plus goal seasons with the Predators, scoring 24 times with 52 points in 79 games in 2013-14.
His point production dipped this past season to 44 points, but he still finished tied for second on the team alongside James Neal with 23 goals, and behind only Filip Forsberg, who had 26.
“It’s just a process,” Predators GM David Poile recently told The Tennessean.
“It’s probably actually good it’s been done because we know they’re going to be signed. It’s just how much, and it gives both sides a chance to prepare as best possible for an arbitration or maybe for a settlement.”