Gary Bettman

Report: NHL has ‘no desire’ to settle concussion lawsuit


Just because the NFL settled its concussion lawsuit, don’t be so sure the NHL will do the same.

According to an internal memo that was distributed to the Board of Governors this week and acquired by Yahoo Sports, the NHL believes it has a stronger case than the NFL did and that “despite extensive discovery to date, we have yet to find any document or other evidence that would tend to support the plaintiffs’ theory of the case.”

Due to the lack of “smoking gun,” the hockey league has “no desire” to engage in settlement talks.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has maintained all along that the plaintiffs’ case is without merit.

Related: Former players argue they had ‘no knowledge’ of concussion science

Out since January, Franzen (concussion) suits up for Wings

Detroit Red Wings v Edmonton Oilers

Detroit forward Johan Franzen will play for the first time in seven months tonight when the Wings host the Penguins in exhibition action at the Joe.

Franzen, plagued by post-concussion symptoms since taking this hit from Edmonton’s Rob Klinkhammer in January, was medically cleared to return prior to training camp and has been practicing regularly over the last few weeks.

But he knows he’s pretty susceptible to another concussion.

“If I would get a really bad hit again, and I would feel the same way again, that’s probably it,” he said earlier this week, per WXYZ Detroit.

Franzen is a Red Wing to watch this season.

His lengthy deal — an 11-year, $43.5 million contract with five years left on it — has always been a bone of contention with Detroit fans, partially due to the fact the 35-year-old has had troubles staying healthy.

Franzen has missed 77 games over the last two seasons, and scored a career-low seven goals in ’14-15.

Helm (concussion/shoulder) hopes to be ready for home opener

San Jose Sharks v Detroit Red Wings
Getty Images
1 Comment

Darren Helm has had quite a bit of bad luck when it comes to injuries, but he doesn’t think his latest setback will end up costing him much time.

Helm crashed into 21-year-old prospect Jerome Verrier during a drill mere minutes into the Red Wings’ training camp. The veteran forward suffered a Grade 1 slight shoulder separation, which is expected to keep him out for two-to-four weeks. That alone might rob him of the opportunity to play in Detroit’s season opener on Oct. 7, but he also sustained a concussion and it’s hard to say how that might impact his recovery.

“I’ve been feeling a little off, a little bit of a headache,” Helm told MLive. “I think we’re going to jump on the bike tomorrow and see how that feels, get the heart rate going, take it from there.

“Hopefully, I can get back for home opener (Oct. 9). If not, then right after that.”

That being said, this isn’t his first concussion and in his own words, “there’s no set timeline in returning.”

He played in 75 games last season, but was limited to 43 contests over the previous two campaigns.