Click here to read a Google-translated story (French to English) from La Presse about possible changes to the Memorial Cup tournament.
According to the story, the CHL, in tandem with broadcaster Sportsnet, is considering a change from the current format to a March Madness-like format.
This vision implies to have more than four teams in contention to play more playoff games to generate interest and disseminate more games to attract more viewers.
“Whenever the content increases, it’s great for us. What is good with March Madness in the United States is that it lasts three weeks and several rivalries are born,” says the president of Sportsnet.
Writes junior hockey blog, Buzzing The Net:
Hypothetically, a 16-team single-elimination tournament offers 15 games, each one with real stakes. That is an improvement over an eight- or nine-game tournament that doesn’t really start until its second weekend.
We’ll add to that hypothetical. Let’s say the top two teams from each of the three leagues (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) get automatic bids for reaching their respective postseason championship series, plus nine more teams receive at-large bids as selected by a committee (controversy potential!), plus one bid for the host city. Voila, 16 teams. Set the bracket and play.
Is it feasible? Well, that’s for the powers that be to decide. Any big junior hockey fans, feel free to share your comments below.
The 2015 Memorial Cup will be played in Quebec City under the current format.
Curtis Glencross’ hard-luck preseason continued on Monday, as the Avalanche announced they released him from his training camp tryout.
Glencross had previously been cut from Toronto’s camp, which he described as “kind of a shock” move. Following that release, the 32-year-old quickly shifted to Colorado but arrived fairly late in the overall process, and only got a bit of exposure before being let go.
While some thought yesterday’s trade of Freddie Hamilton to Calgary may have opened up a spot for Glencross, the Avs now appear to be going in a different direction.
A two-time 20-goal scorer that netted 13 in 71 games last year, it’s unclear what lies ahead for Glencross.
The Edmonton Oilers have assigned center Leon Draisaitl to AHL Bakersfield.
The demotion of Draisaitl, 19, means 21-year-old rookie Anton Slepyshev has made the opening-day roster after scoring twice and adding two assists in exhibition action.
The Oilers experimented during the preseason with Draisaitl, a natural center, on the wing. He didn’t have a particularly poor camp, finishing with one goal and three assists in six games.
But Slepyshev apparently impressed more.
“He’s a young player but he’s played pro hockey before,” coach Todd McLellan told the Edmonton Journal. “You can see it.”
Slepyshev played 58 games in the KHL last season, scoring 15 goals for Salavat Yulaev Ufa.