Toronto Maple Leafs v Ottawa Senators

Leafs’ Kadri aims for more goals in contract year


The broader storyline for this offseason is that the Toronto Maple Leafs might look at numbers in a different way, but the bottom line is that Nazem Kadri’s next payday could be significantly healthier if he scores a bunch of goals in this coming contract year.

Kadri told Sportsnet how he expects to improve upon a 20-goal, 50-point output from 2013-14.

“I’ve really been working on my shot and my release, knowing a lot of NHL goalies can’t be beat without a quick release,” says Kadri. “The power doesn’t necessarily have to be there, but the release definitely does. I’m trying to score a few more goals and get more pucks on net.”

The 23-year-old didn’t even fire two shots on goal last season, only managing 148 in 78 regular season games. At least one new Maple Leafs front office member noticed his affinity for passing during the 2013-14 season, too.

Kadri should obviously play to his strengths, yet being more confident with firing the puck could very well help him put up better numbers – both simple and fancy – in 2014-15.

He’s likely to count more than $2.9 million against the cap after next season, but he could command an especially healthy raise if he enjoys explosive growth like, say, Ryan Johansen.

In the meantime, let’s enjoy this Instagram video Kadri shared regarding at least one tool that may help him get rid of the puck a little faster:

/Adds item to holiday wish list.

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.