Cory Schneider

Under Pressure: Cory Schneider


New Jersey Devils fans will never ask “Marty who?,” but the job of trying to get the franchise back to the glory days once enjoyed with Martin Brodeur now rests firmly on the shoulders of Cory Schneider.

That won’t be easy as Brodeur led the Devils to Stanley Cup victories three times and won the Vezina Trophy four times.

“Marty’s legacy is what it is,” Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello told “Cory’s not here to replace Marty. Cory’s here to establish his own identity, which he has done, and go forward with that.”

Schneider, 28, signed a new seven-year, $42 million contract extension in July, which will take him through the 2021-22 season.

In his first season in New Jersey, Schneider went 16-15-12 while appearing in 45 games during the 2013-14 season. His 1.97 GAA ranked third in the league.

However, with the Devils lacking goal-scoring, they missed the playoffs for a second straight season after getting to the Stanley Cup final during the 2011-12 season. New Jersey ranked 29th in 5-on-5 goals-for last season ahead of only Buffalo.

Schneider has been waiting for this opportunity since entering the league during the 2008-09 season and will likely be the franchise’s starting goaltender for many years to come.

He’s more than capable of handling the duties of a 60-plus games a season and considering what it cost Lamoriello to land him (a first round pick in 2013) Schneider is a steal.

This coming season Schneider won’t have the safety net of Brodeur, 42, to help him out if things go sideways. Rookie Keith Kinkaid, 25, is pencilled in to be Schneider’s backup in 2014-15.

The pressure is on Schneider to prove he can handle the opportunity he’s been waiting for for six seasons. If he can’t handle the duties expected of a No. 1, it’ll be a third straight season outside the playoff picture in New Jersey.

Related: Devils’ Gomez considered retirement

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
Leave a comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”



Oilers place Scrivens on waivers

Jordan Martinook, Ben Scrivens
Leave a comment

The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.

Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.

It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.

Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.

He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.

Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.

If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.

The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.

The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.