It’s been a year since Alexander Burmistrov bolted the Winnipeg Jets for the KHL but he may be looking to make a return to North America. He just may not want to do it in Winnipeg.
Slava Malamud of sportsexpress.ru appeared on TSN Radio in Winnipeg on Monday and said the 2010 first-round pick of the Atlanta Thrashers may be looking to come back.
“He said that he knows that the Jets were looking to trade him, and if that’s the case then he wouldn’t mind it as long as he comes back to the NHL,” Malamud said. “He’s being kind of diplomatic there, but the vibe I caught from that exchange when I read it in the original Russian was that he’s not too hot on the idea of coming back to Winnipeg, and he might want to try his luck somewhere else.”
When Burmistrov was here, he famously clashed with then Jets head coach Claude Noel. Burmistrov’s agent said Noel was the reason he headed back to Russia but Noel said he never had any issues with the now 22-year-old center. Burmistrov later blamed Noel and former Jets forward Olli Jokinen for his struggles in Winnipeg.
Burmistrov has already said he’ll be playing in Russia again next season, but after that a return to the NHL could happen in 2015-16. Should the Jets deal his rights, they’d be selling about as low as you can get for a guy who struggled in three seasons in the NHL before leaving for the KHL.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.