Tim Leiweke

Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move)


Bit of a stunner out of Toronto, per CBC’s Elliotte Friedman:

Leiweke, 57, became the president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment in June of last year, after serving in the same position of the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), which owns the Los Angeles Kings.

Leiweke talked a big game upon taking the MLSE gig and rubbed some people the wrong way. After saying he wanted to be a “hero” in Toronto (adding he already had a Stanley Cup parade route planned), the Toronto Star called his comments “laughable,” adding that “in the cultivation of executive arrogance, the new guy in town is intent on scaling new heights.”

A month later, Leiweke caused more controversy when he ordered the removal of pictures of the Leafs’ Stanley Cup team from the dressing room hallway.

“I don’t want the players walking in the hallways of the Air Canada Centre and seeing pictures from 1962,” Leiweke told Bloomberg. “Get rid of those pictures and tell them, this is your legacy.”

He later apologized, saying the decision wasn’t directed at Leafs alumni but rather a challenge to the current squad.

Most recently, Leiweke was in the spotlight for his role in hiring Brendan Shanahan as Leafs’ president, a move he said would correct two things he felt Toronto didn’t have.

“I definitely sense that we lack an identity,” Lieweke said, per the Globe and Mail. “Right now we’re a team that lacks a direction. And we want to change that.”

UPDATE: Leiweke has shot down rumors of his move, per the Globe

Leiweke knocked down rumours on Tuesday that he is about to leave the country’s largest sports concern.

“It’s not true. One-hundred per cent not true. I’m fully committed to the season at hand,” Leiweke said.

He’s got two seasons on hand. He was referring to the Toronto Raptors basketball season, as he was in the midst of working on a new $30-million training facility for the club.

Sharks name Pavelski captain; Thornton, Couture alternates

Joe Pavelski, Joe Thornton
Leave a comment

Joe Pavelski is the new captain of the San Jose Sharks. The club made the announcement today via Twitter.

The former captain, Joe Thornton, will be an alternate captain, along with Logan Couture.

Pavelski, 31, was the Sharks’ leading scorer last season, finishing with 37 goals and 33 assists. He’s also signed through 2018-19, so giving him the ‘C’ makes sense from a long-term stability perspective.

Couture, 26, is also signed through 2018-19, while Thornton, 36, only has two years left on his contract.

The Sharks had four alternate captains (Thornton, Pavelski, Patrick Marleau and Marc-Edouard Vlasic) in 2014-15, but no captain.

Related: DeBoer says Sharks will have a captain next season

After PTO, Upshall signs one-year deal with Blues

Florida Panthers v Ottawa Senators
Leave a comment

Scottie Upshall has parlayed his training camp tryout into a contract with St. Louis.

On Monday, the Blues agreed to a one-year, two-way deal with the veteran forward, worth $700,000 at the NHL level. The deal comes after Upshall spent all of training camp and the preseason impressing the Blues his speed and skating ability, no small feat for a 31-year-old veteran with over 500 NHL games on his odometer.

But where Upshall fits in the Blues lineup — and within the organization — remains to be seen.

The club has plenty of depth up front and Upshall isn’t coming off a terrific campaign, having scored just eight goals and 15 points in 63 games with Florida last season. That said, he showed enough to be just one of a handful of veterans on PTOs to score a contract.