The Detroit Red Wings have given general manager Ken Holland a new four-year contract that runs through the 2017-18 season.
“Ken is regarded as one of the premier executives in the National Hockey League and has been instrumental in the success of the Red Wings over the last two decades,” Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch said in a statement. “Marian and I are extremely pleased that he will continue to lead our hockey club over the next four years. We feel strongly that stability is key to the success of any organization and having this new agreement in place with Ken is important to the organization and its future.”
Holland, meanwhile, told the Detroit Free Press that it’s “nice to know that ownership has confidence in me to continue to lead going forward.”
He also told the paper he plans to “sit down and talk” in September with head coach Mike Babcock, who’s entering the final year of his contract and has not said decisively whether he plans to remain in the position past 2014-15.
Holland became the Red Wings’ general manager in 1997 and has since become one of the most respected executives in NHL history. Detroit has yet to miss the playoffs since he took the job, and the club continues to draft and develop prospects well.
That said, Holland has faced increasing criticism over the past few seasons, as the Wings have failed to make a deep playoff run and high-profile free agents have either chosen to sign elsewhere or, in the case of Stephen Weiss, disappointed. So far this offseason, Holland has failed to land a top-four, right-shooting defenseman, something that Babcock has been pushing for.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.
Zack Kassian may have avoided major injuries stemming from his Sunday car accident, but it likely sent the signal that he may need help.
The response: he was placed in Stage Two of the Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program (SABH) of the NHL and NHLPA on Monday.
According to the league’s release, Kassian “will be suspended without pay until cleared for on-ice competition by the program administrators.”
Speaking of being suspended without pay, here’s a key detail:
The 24-year-old ended up with a broken nose and broken foot from that accident. The 2015-16 season was set to be his first campaign in the Montreal Canadiens organization after a tumultuous time with the Vancouver Canucks.
Kassian spoke of becoming more mature heading to Montreal, but the Canadiens were critical of his actions, wondering how many wake-up calls someone can get.
In case you’re wondering about the difference between stage one and two: