David Warsofsky played in six games with the Boston Bruins in 2013-14 and the 24-year-old defenseman hopes to spend a lot more time than that with the club next season.
“I think it gave me that confidence. When I did go back to (AHL) Providence, I kind of had that little chip on my shoulder, like I wanted to get back to the NHL,” Warsofsky told CSN New England.
After signing a one-year, two-way contract over the summer, he sees the coming campaign as an important one for him in his quest to earn a regular spot with Boston. He’s been good enough in the AHL to warrant the Bruins attention, but the bigger issue right now is the team’s defensive logjam.
Right now Boston has six defensemen signed to one-way contracts, but that doesn’t include Dougie Hamilton or restricted free agent Torey Krug, which means that there’s no clear opening for Warsofsky as the team is currently structured. That being said, the Bruins are currently in a bit of tough spot from a cap perspective and that might lead to them trading a blueliner.
If a trade or injury creates an opening, Warsofsky would be the most likely candidate to fill the void given that Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has previously called him one of the team’s nine NHL defensemen.
Last night in Los Angeles, Kings forward Milan Lucic received a match penalty after skating the entire width of the ice to give San Jose’s Logan Couture a two-hand shove to the face.
Lucic didn’t hurt Couture, who had caught Lucic with an open-ice hit that Lucic didn’t like. Couture’s smiling, mocking face was good evidence that the Sharks’ forward was going to be OK.
This morning, Lucic was still in disbelief that he was penalized so harshly.
“I didn’t cross any line,” Lucic said, per Rich Hammond of the O.C. Register. “Believe me, if my intentions were to hurt him, I would have hurt him.”
While Lucic knew he deserved a penalty, he said after the game that he didn’t “know why it was called a match penalty.” His coach, Darryl Sutter, agreed, calling it “a borderline even roughing penalty.”
And though former NHL referee Kerry Fraser believes a match penalty was indeed warranted, Lucic said this morning that he hasn’t heard from the NHL about any possible supplemental discipline.
Nor for that matter has Dustin Brown, after his high hit on Couture in the first period.
In conclusion, it’s good to have hockey back.
Related: Sutter says Kings weren’t ‘interested’ in checking the Sharks
A statement from Raffi Torres:
“I accept the 41-game suspension handed down to me by the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. I worked extremely hard over the last two years following reconstructive knee surgery to resume my NHL career, and this is the last thing I wanted to happen. I am disappointed I have put myself in a position to be suspended again. I sincerely apologize to Jakob for the hit that led to this suspension, and I’m extremely thankful that he wasn’t seriously injured as a result of the play. I also want to apologize to my Sharks teammates and the organization.”
A statement from San Jose GM Doug Wilson:
“The Sharks organization fully supports the NHL’s supplementary discipline decision regarding Raffi. While we do not believe there was any malicious intent, this type of hit is unacceptable and has no place in our game. There is a difference between playing hard and crossing the line and there is no doubt, in this instance, Raffi crossed that line. We’re very thankful that Jakob was not seriously injured as a result of this play.”
Silfverberg says he expects to play Saturday when the Ducks open their regular season Saturday in San Jose.