Curtis Glencross

Flames, Glencross to talk new deal; no more hometown discount?


Sounds like discussions for a new Curtis Glencross deal in Calgary will happen in the coming weeks, and it’ll be interesting to see what kind of deal each side is gunning for.

“I’ve talked to Brad [Treliving, new Flames GM] a few times now and my agent has also been in touch with him numerous times,” Glencross told Sportsnet Fan 960 radio on Wednesday. “The plan is they want to get the ball rolling after the [Aug 1.] arbitration thing with [Joe] Colborne, and get to talking.

“It is what it is. Hopefully we can hopefully get something done sooner rather than later, and not have to worry about a contract during the season.”

Glencross, 31, put up good offensive numbers through a injury-plagued ’13-14 campaign. Despite missing 15 games with a sprained MCL and another 29 with an ankle issue, he posted 12 goals and 24 points in 38 games — which would make him a pretty sought-after commodity should he hit the open market next summer (lest we forget that, from 2010-12, Glencross averaged 25 goals and 45 points per season.)

Hitting the open market is a legit possibility. While Glencross wants to return to Calgary — he’s been with the Flames for the last six seasons, and serves as alternate captain — he acknowledged he took a hometown discount on his current deal (four years at $10.2 million, which expires next July) and isn’t really interested in doing it again.

“It’ll be a little bit different this time around,” Glencross explained. “I told them when we did the last deal that I love playing at home and I’ll take kind of a hometown discount hit so we could make this team a better team.

“I might only have a couple more contracts left in my career, and this is probably the biggest contract of my career. The Flames have to know that as well, and hopefully they take it into consideration, what I did the last four years.”

Goalie nods: Greiss gets start over injured Halak

Thomas Greiss
Leave a comment

Thomas Greiss will be between the pipes for the New York Islanders when they host the Blackhawks tonight in Brooklyn.

Greiss was signed this offseason to back up Jaroslav Halak, who skated this morning but remains day-to-day with an upper-body injury.

“Jaro’s not 100 percent right now, so it was an easy decision,” coach Jack Capuano told Newsday. “Jaro’s progressing well and we’ll see how he is moving forward.”

Greiss will be backed up by J-F Berube, who was claimed off waivers from Los Angeles earlier in the week.

Corey Crawford will be in goal for Chicago.

These two teams meet again tomorrow at United Center.


Michael Hutchinson goes for the Jets in New Jersey after Ondrej Pavelec got the win last night in Boston. Cory Schneider for the Devils.

Henrik Lundqvist for the Rangers. Sergei Bobrovsky for the Blue Jackets in their opener.

Jonathan Bernier for the Leafs. Jimmy Howard for the Red Wings in their opener.

Mike Smith for the Coyotes. Jonathan Quick likely for the Kings, who will need a better effort than the one they had Wednesday against San Jose.

Related: Mike Smith seeing benefit from sports psychologist

No hearing scheduled for Burmistrov after Bergeron headshot

1 Comment

Winnipeg forward Alex Burmistrov isn’t in line for a disciplinary hearing for his elbow to the head of Boston’s Patrice Bergeron on Thursday night, an NHL spokesman confirmed to PHT.

Burmistrov was tagged with an illegal check to the head minor late in the first period. Bergeron received a minor roughing penalty for retaliating on the Russian forward, but was able to finish the contest.

Afterward, B’s head coach Claude Julien expressed frustration with the hit.

“It will be interesting how that is being reviewed, and especially to an elite player in the league who’€™s had some [concussion] issues in the past,” Julien said, per WEEI. “I hope they look at it seriously. In my mind, I don’€™t see why there wouldn’t be further consequences [for] that.”

Bergeron said that, while it was “definitely a hit to the head,” Burmistrov did come up to him afterward and apologized.

According to sources of CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty, Burmistrov received a warning from the Department of Player Safety.