As a 16-year-old, Dallas Stars prospect Devin Shore felt like he was being overpowered by more physically mature opponents. That was one of the driving forces behind his decision to play NCAA hockey rather than going the OHL route, as he explained to the team’s website.
“It wasn’t an easy decision. I flip-flopped back and forth,” Shore said. “The OHL is such a great option, but you have to pick what is right for you. The biggest thing for me is that I needed more time to develop. I was a small kid going into my 16-year-old OHL year, and there were guys stronger than me and way more mature physically, so I figured the college route extends the window to become a pro.”
The 19-year-old is taking that extra time to bulk up, if nothing else.
When the Stars selected him in the second round (61st overall) in 2012, Shore was listed at 185 lbs. He’s impressively managed to pack on 20 lbs. to his 6-foot-1 frame in the past two years while distinguishing himself in the NCAA, including becoming Maine’s first freshman to lead the team in scoring since a fellow named Gustav Nyquist accomplished that task.
It all leads to glowing reviews from Stars management, even if it’s unclear how far he is from being ready to make the big jump(s).
“Devin had a really strong season. He’s a real solid player, smart. He was one of the better players in college hockey,” Stars assistant GM Les Jackson said. “He has a great attitude, good work ethic. He is a pretty impressive player and person.”
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.