Tomas Vokoun

Vokoun says he’s ready to play next season


Tomas Vokoun missed¬†all of last season with a blood-clot problem but he said he’s ready to play next season.

The 38-year-old goaltender told Stephen Whyno of The Canadian Press that despite missing the entirety of the 2013-14 season, he’s ready to get back between the pipes for any team in need.

“I don’t feel like I’ve missed a season, if that makes any sense,” Vokoun said in a phone interview last week from his home in South Florida. “I know what to do, I’ve played the game for 30 years. I played over 700 games in the NHL, I know mentally what I need to do.”

Vokoun was with the Pittsburgh Penguins last season and a team in need of a veteran backup goalie could come calling. One possible destination could be an old haunt in Washington where Braden Holtby could use a little assistance.

There aren’t many goalie jobs to be had out there so the competition could be fierce to find a place to land. One thing’s for sure, if Vokoun does come back and performs well, put him near the front of the discussion for next year’s Masterton Trophy.

Report: Islanders cut first-rounder Barzal from camp

Mathew Barzal
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It seems Mathew Barzal has played in his last game in a New York Islanders’ uniform for a little while.

Barzal took part in the Islanders’ preseason finale against the Washington Capitals on Sunday, but after that contest the Islanders decided to return him to WHL Seattle, per Newsday’s Arthur Staple.

He was taken with the 16th overall pick in 2015 NHL Entry Draft. That selection was well-traveled as it originally belonged to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but was involved in the David Perron trade and then moved to the Islanders as part of Edmonton’s deal to get Griffin Reinhart.

Barzal is noteworthy for his skill and speed, but he may have slipped in the draft due to a knee injury he sustained during the 2014-15 campaign.

The Islanders also reassigned Kirill Petrov, Kevin Czuczman, Scott Mayfield, and Adam Pelech to the AHL’s Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.

Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.