Marc-Andre Fleury

Pens unlikely to use compliance buyouts, says Rutherford


Pittsburgh is one of 19 NHL teams that didn’t use a compliance buyout last summer and, according to new GM Jim Rutherford, the Pens aren’t likely to use one this summer either.

“I do not expect to use them,” Rutherford said on Sunday, per the Post-Gazette.

Rutherford, who took the GM gig 10 days ago, inherited a cap situation that, at first glance, might be aided by a buyout. The Pens have just 14 players under contract next season at $55 million, meaning they have roughly $15 million — depending on next year’s ceiling — to fill out the remaining roster spots. While Rutherford could save some space by bringing up players on their entry-level deals — Derrick Pouliot, Brian Dumoulin and Scott Harrington are all candidates on defense — the Pens have, at the time of writing, just seven forwards under contract for next season.

Thing is, the buyout isn’t much of an option for Pittsburgh.

Only players signed on or before Sept. 15, 2012 qualify to be bought out, meaning seven guys — Evgeni Malkin, Chris Kunitz, Pascal Dupuis, Craig Adams, Kris Letang, Rob Scuderi and Jeff Zatkoff — aren’t eligible. (Note: this isn’t saying a guy like Malkin was a buyout candidate; it’s just worth noting he and the six others are ineligible.)

James Neal is buyout eligible, but Pittsburgh isn’t going to do that. Paul Martin’s eligible as well, but, given the Pens could be losing the services of veteran defensemen Brooks Orpik and Matt Niskanen, Martin isn’t going anywhere.

Which brings us to Marc-Andre Fleury.

Fleury has one year left on his seven-year, $35.5 million deal — a $5 million cap hit — and holds a limited no-movement clause. If the Pens were to buy him out, they’d pay him $1.9 million this year and the next while clearing all $5 million off their cap (per CapGeek).

The problem, of course, is the move would leave Pittsburgh extremely thin in net (Zatkoff is the only ‘tender under contract for next season) and while there are capable replacements available in free agency, they’d, y’know, still need to be paid.

It’s hard to speculate how much actual cap space the Pens would save by buying out Fleury and signing, say, Ryan Miller or Jonas Hiller… and it’s also hard to speculate how much of an upgrade it would give them in goal.

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.