Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Vlasic: ‘I should be 100 percent come training camp’


Marc-Edouard Vlasic’s Stanley Cup playoff finished sooner than that of his San Jose Sharks teammates, after suffering injuries in Game 5 of the first round against the L.A. Kings. But, the good news is that it appears he’ll be ready for training camp.

Vlasic suffered an upper-body injury after taking a forearm to the head from Kings’ forward Jarret Stoll. He didn’t play for the remainder of the series. According to the San Jose Mercury News, he also suffered a sprain MCL on the play, and that is the injury that appears to have lingered around a little longer.

But, based on Vlasic’s comments, there is reason for optimism for the steady 27-year-old defenseman.

“It’s a question of time – it’s the exact same injury I had two years ago (at) the world championships and it takes six to eight weeks to heal,” Vlasic told the San Jose Mercury News.

“If I take care of it now, I should be 100 percent come training camp.”

The Sharks, despite being up 3-0 and in a position to complete the sweep, went on to lose the first-round series to the Kings.

Their failure two months ago has opened up the possibility of massive change regarding some of their top forwards, including Joe Thornton, who may choose to waive his no-movement clause this off-season.

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit
1 Comment

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.

Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.

Flames acquire Freddie Hamilton, brother of Dougie

Freddie Hamilton
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Roughly three months after acquiring Dougie Hamilton, the Calgary Flames have brought his brother on board too.

Freddie Hamilton was pried away from the Colorado Avalanche for the cost a 2016 conditional seventh-round draft pick, per the Avalanche’s website. The Flames announced that he will report to AHL Stockton.

Freddie, who is the older of the two at 23, is a center that excelled offensively in the OHL and has chipped in at the AHL level. However, he has just one point in 29 contests with Colorado and the San Jose Sharks.

This is obviously not a big trade, but perhaps Freddie will eventually become a solid member of the Flames’ supporting cast. If nothing else, it didn’t cost Calgary much to reunite the brothers. The duo previously played together with the Niagara IceDogs.