Right when you think the San Jose Sharks’ first round collapse to the Los Angeles Kings couldn’t possibly come with worse news, it does.
Sharks GM Doug Wilson announced star center Logan Couture would be ready for the start of training camp after undergoing surgery for a broken hand. When did he hurt it? Wilson spilled the details in a statement released by the team.
“Last week, Logan underwent successful surgery to repair a hand injury suffered in a fight in Game Six of the Stanley Cup Playoffs against Mike Richards. The procedure went as expected and Logan will be ready for the start of training camp.”
According to HockeyFights.com, 63 percent of voters said Couture won that fight so it wasn’t totally in vain. Of course, the Sharks blew a 3-0 series lead to the Kings and lost in seven games. L.A. is now one win away from their second Stanley Cup in three seasons.
Coincidentally enough, Couture said he’d never be able to get over losing that series after being up 3-0. Having a broken hand to deal with because of it probably didn’t help his mindset.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.