Milan Lucic

Lucic doesn’t want a repeat of last season’s first round against Wings


The Boston Bruins have seen this movie before.

A first round playoff series against a historical rival in which they take a 3-1 series lead after a thrilling overtime win in Game 4 on the road.

As Bruins forward Milan Lucic told reporters after last night’s 3-2 overtime win against the Detroit Red Wings, he’d prefer they not repeat what happened last season against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

We were in this position last year, same thing, winning Game 4 in overtime in Toronto and we all know what happened after that,” Lucic said.

We sure do remember. The Maple Leafs stormed back to force Game 7. Of course, the Maple Leafs were up 4-1 in Game 7 before ultimately losing 5-4 in overtime and while that was a good thing for the Bruins, they’d ultimately not like to go down the same road with the Red Wings.

After all, Detroit just got captain Henrik Zetterberg back in Game 4 and knocking off the Wings before Johan Franzen remembers how to score goals would be a good thing for Boston.

If there’s something the Bruins have excelled at in recent years it’s learning lessons from the past. Don’t expect them to take the foot off the gas the rest of the way against the Wings.

Derek Roy continues his career in Switzerland

Alex Tanguay, Derek Roy
Leave a comment

Derek Roy will continue his pro career overseas, as he has signed a contract with Bern in the Swiss League.

Roy attended training camp on a professional tryout with the Washington Capitals, but he was unable to claim a spot on their roster.

The 32-year-old had some great years in the NHL, but since the 2011-12 season Roy had suited up for six different teams (excluding his PTO with the Caps).

His best season came in 2007-08 when he scored 32 goals and 81 points in 78 games with the Buffalo Sabres.

Roy will leave the NHL with 189 goals and 524 points in 738 career games.

He will join former NHLers Cory Conacher, Andrew Ebbett, Chuck Kobasew, Simon Moser and Sean Bergenheim in Bern.


Sabres place Lehner on IR; Recall Lieuwen

Connor Brown, Robin Lehner

They’re just one game into their regular season, but the Buffalo Sabres have already had to shift things around in their crease.

The Sabres announced that they have placed starting goaltender Robin Lehner on injured reserve after he was knocked out of Thursday’s game with a lower-body injury.

In a corresponding move, the club has recalled Nathan Lieuwen from their AHL affiliate in Rochester.

The 24-year-old didn’t play in the NHL last season, but he did have a 1-4-0 record with a 2.98 goals-against-average and a .906 save percentage in seven games during the 2013-14 season.

Lieuwen was Buffalo’s sixth round pick, 167th overall, in the 2011 draft.

The Sabres also announced that they have loaned defenseman Jake McCabe and goaltender Linus Ullmark to the Rochester Americans (AHL).

McCabe was a healthy scratch in Thursday’s game against Ottawa, while Ullmark is being activated off I.R. after having double hip surgery during the off-season.