The San Jose Sharks haven’t just beaten the Los Angeles Kings twice in their first round series. They’ve crushed them.
Now down 2-0, Kings coach Darryl Sutter thinks the team’s complimentary players need to step up if they are going to stage a comeback.
“I thought that our third and fourth line and our fifth and sixth defensemen could match up better against their third and fourth line,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider. “It hasn’t happened yet.”
He added that the Kings need to show the same “tenacity” that the Sharks’ role players have displayed. San Jose got goals from seven different players last night, including enforcers Mike Brown and Raffi Torres.
This isn’t a new problem as far as Sutter is concerned. He feels the Kings didn’t have a solid fourth line in 2013 either and that led to their downfall.
Sutter added that the Sharks have gotten 13 goals in two games because the Kings have been “trading chances” with them, but that’s been due to “three-or-four” players rather than a fundamental problem with a team.
The Kings used 11 forwards Sunday night. and might do the same in Game 3 on Tuesday.
Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead
Video: Darryl Sutter disputes the assertion that Quick had a ‘good game’
Anaheim has added two assistants to Randy Carlyle’s coaching staff — longtime NHLer Steve Konowalchuk, and AHL Manitoba assistant Mark Morrison.
Konowalchuk, 44, comes over after a successful stint as the bench boss in WHL Seattle. Last year, he led the Thunderbirds to a league title and a spot in the Memorial Cup. He has history with Carlyle from their days together in Washington — Konowalchuk as a player, Carlyle as an assistant coach.
Konowalchuk also has NHL experience, having served two years as an assistant in Colorado.
Morrison, 54, has spent the last six years with the Moose/IceCaps, Winnipeg’s AHL affiliate. Prior to that, he was the head coach of ECHL Victoria.
Today’s moves after the Ducks parted ways with Paul MacLean. He’d been with the organization for two seasons, serving under both Carlyle and Bruce Boudreau.
It’s been an interesting few weeks to say the least for the Ottawa Senators and Dion Phaneuf.
He was asked to waive his no-movement clause ahead of the expansion draft, which would’ve left him unprotected had he agreed to that request. There were also reports of trade interest in Phaneuf, who is 32 years old and with four years remaining on a pricey seven-year, $49 million contract.
Phaneuf denied Ottawa’s request to waive, and the Senators ended up losing Marc Methot to Vegas, which then flipped him to Dallas in exchange for a 2020 second-round pick and prospect goalie Dylan Ferguson.
Now, it’s been reported, the Senators plan to keep Phaneuf after the market for him apparently to cool off.
What has transpired over the past few weeks likely makes for some awkward conversations down the road.
“They’re not easy conversations when you ask someone (to waive a no-move clause), but he understood,” Senators general manager Pierre Dorion told Sportsnet.
“It was a man-to-man conversation. There was no bulls**t. When we talked to him I explained to him: ‘I said it’s not that you’re the fourth-best defenceman on this team, Dion.’ It’s ‘we want to try to top keep our top-four intact.’”
Phaneuf played in 81 regular season games for Ottawa in 2016-17, scoring nine goals and 30 points. He scored one goal and five points in 19 playoff games.
The Senators currently have six defensemen under contract for next season, with their star Erik Karlsson facing a four-month recovery from offseason foot surgery. With Methot gone, prospect blue liner Thomas Chabot should also have quite an opportunity to crack the Senators’ lineup next season.
Nashville Predators defenseman Ryan Ellis made an appearance on a Hamilton, Ont., television station Wednesday, sporting a large brace running almost the full length of his right leg.
Ellis left Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final with an undisclosed injury and didn’t return in what was a blowout loss to the Penguins. He did, however, return to the lineup for Game 6, but Nashville’s playoff run came to an end on home ice with a stunning 2-0 loss.
During his appearance on CHCH, Ellis said he had a “minor procedure” done on his right leg.
“It looks worse than it probably is,” he continued. “Hopefully be back on the ice in no time.”
Predators general manager David Poile had acknowledged in the days following the Stanley Cup Final loss to Pittsburgh that Ellis undergoing surgery was a possibility.
From The Tennessean:
Ellis played in each of Nashville’s 22 playoff games, but coach Peter Laviolette said following the team’s season-ending loss Sunday that Ellis’ ailment was “pretty serious.” Poile said that more should be known next week.
The Predators made the playoffs as the second wild card team in the West, but swept Chicago in the first round and surged all the way to the final. Their top-four defensemen, including Ellis, played such a pivotal role in the team’s historic postseason. Ellis finished third on the Predators in playoff scoring, with 13 points in 22 games.
After a breakout campaign, Brock McGinn has cashed in with the Hurricanes.
McGinn has signed a two-year, $1.775 million extension, the club announced on Wednesday. The deal carries a $887,500 average annual cap hit, and comes on the heels of a campaign in which he scored 16 points in 57 games, averaging 12 minutes per night.
“Brock took a step forward last season and was a regular presence in our lineup,” GM Ron Francis said in a release. “He is a young player who plays a physical, but smart brand of hockey, and can contribute offensively.”
McGinn, 23, is the youngest of the McGinn brothers. Tye spent last year with Tampa Bay’s AHL affiliate in Syracuse, while Jamie wrapped the first of a three-year deal in Arizona.