Dustin Brown didn’t hold back with his assessment of his team’s performance Sunday.
The L.A. Kings fell behind the San Jose Sharks 2-0 in this best-of-seven Western Conference quarter-final series, after getting embarrassed by a final score of 7-2 in Game 2. The Kings had a 2-0 lead after the first period but gave up seven unanswered goals – all with Jonathan Quick in the net – in the loss.
It was also San Jose’s fourth line, including Mike Brown and Raffi Torres initiating the scoring attack in the second period.
“We got our asses kicked pretty much and now we go home and we have to take care of our home ice,” Brown said afterward, as per LA Kings Insider.
“It starts with the game on Tuesday. In a series like this, you remember the score but you move on from the game and get focused on Game 3, because that’s all you can do.”
The series now shifts back to L.A. for the next two games, beginning with Game 3 on Tuesday. The Kings found themselves down two-games-to-none in the first round of last year’s playoffs, and were already looking to the future during their post-game remarks after Game 2 against San Jose.
“It obviously stinks sitting here, talking after another lopsided loss, but they did what they set out to do and now it’s response time,” Kings’ forward Justin Williams said.
“We’re going back to our arena. We won the first two in our arena last year and they came back and won the next two in theirs. So we’re looking to repeat that, but we need to start with one.”
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.