Dallas franchise legend and current alternate governor Mike Modano was NHL on NBC’s live guest tweeter on Friday night and, following the Stars’ 3-2 loss in Anaheim, said the club needed more from its big three of Tyler Seguin, Jamie Benn and Kari Lehtonen.
Through two games, Getzlaf and Perry have racked up three goals and three assists while Benn and Seguin have combined for two goals and one assist, with Seguin going pointless in the Game 2 loss.
It’s fair to say the dynamic Ducks duo has an edge, though not a gigantic one — the bigger issue, it seems, is in goal.
Ducks rookie netminder Frederik Andersen has been solid, posting a 2.50 GAA and .930 save percentage over the first two games. Lehtonen, still looking for his first-ever playoff win, has posted a 3.56 GAA and .870 save percentage and wasn’t especially sharp in Friday’s loss. Lehtonen allowed three goals on 19 shots and was outperformed by Andersen, who stopped 34 of 36.
Modano, who had his No. 9 retired in an emotional ceremony earlier this season, currently serves as Dallas’ alternate governor and executive advisor.
Defenseman Rasmus Dahlin, potentially the NHL’s first overall draft pick in 2018, will suit up for Sweden at the World Junior Summer Showcase in Plymouth, Michigan.
Dahlin, who doesn’t turn 18 until April, has wowed scouts with his skating and puck-moving ability. At the 2017 World Juniors, he participated as a 16-year-old, garnering tantalizing reviews in the process.
Top-10 picks in the 2017 draft, Elias Pettersson (5th, Vancouver Canucks) and Lias Andersson (7th, New York Rangers), will also be in Plymouth representing Sweden.
Click here for Sweden’s and Finland’s Summer Showcase rosters. The tournament runs from July 29 – Aug. 5 and also features players from the United States and Canada.
Among the draft-eligible Finns to watch is 17-year-old forward Jesse Ylonen, who could be a late first-rounder in 2018.
Related: USA Hockey invites 42 players to World Junior Summer Showcase
Leslie Alexander’s decision to sell the NBA’s Rockets has revived hope for a hockey team in Houston.
That’s because Alexander is arguably the biggest reason that Houston doesn’t already have a team. The 72-year-old billionaire controls Toyota Center, where the Rockets play. Without getting into all the details, he’s essentially been the only one who could bring an NHL franchise to the city.
From the Houston Press:
But Alexander selling the Rockets (and the lease that goes with it), opens up an NHL-ready hockey arena in Houston. And that’s something that Seattle, which the NHL seemed to favor, can’t offer, and unlike Quebec City, Houston offers up a huge media market with many, many large corporations around to buy up luxury seats.
Houston is certainly a big city. In fact, only four metro areas in the United States — New York, L.A., Chicago and Dallas — have higher populations.
And Houston is growing fast.
Jeremy Jacobs, the influential owner of the Boston Bruins, has not hidden his desire to put an NHL team in Toyota Center. Back in 2015, he told ESPN.com, “I would love to see one in Houston, but we can’t get into that building.”
Perhaps soon the NHL won’t have that impediment.
The Nashville Predators have hired Dan Muse as an assistant coach.
Muse, who spent the last two years as head coach of the USHL’s Chicago Steel, will be in charge of the Preds’ forwards as well as the penalty kill, while associate head coach Kevin McCarthy — in the wake of Phil Housley’s departure — will now have responsibility for the defense and the power play.
Muse led the Steel to a championship in May. He also won an NCAA title in 2013 as an assistant coach for Yale.
“Dan comes to us as a successful young coach that brings great energy and passion to the game,” said Preds head coach Peter Laviolette in a statement. “He has worked his way up through the coaching ranks, first winning an NCAA title at Yale in 2013, and then taking a Chicago team that had missed the playoffs eight straight seasons and turned them into the Clark Cup champions in just two seasons. We are excited to welcome him to the organization and look forward to his contributions to the coaching staff.”
The Ottawa Senators have narrowly avoided arbitration with Ryan Dzingel.
Per Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, Dzingel has signed a two-year deal with a cap hit of $1.8 million.
Dzingel’s hearing was scheduled for today. Last season, the 25-year-old forward had 14 goals and 18 assists in 81 games.
Earlier this week, the Sens also avoided arbitration with Jean-Gabriel Pageau, though that case didn’t go down to the wire like Dzingel’s did.
Pageau and Dzingel were the only Sens with arbitration hearings scheduled.
Related: Sens want to avoid arbitration with Dzingel