Welcome back: Vancouver officially names Linden team president


The Canucks dipped into their past on Wednesday, naming former team captain Trevor Linden as the President of Hockey Operations and Alternate Governor.

 “Today is a real honor,” Linden said in a statement. “I came to Vancouver 26 years ago and I have never left. I love this city. It is my home and the Canucks have always been part of my family.”

Vancouver’s first-round pick (second overall) at the 1988 NHL Entry Draft, Linden spent 16 seasons with the Canucks and still holds the team’s playoff records for most games played, goals, assists and points. In 2008, his No. 16 became just the second to be retired (later to be joined by Markus Naslund’s No. 19 and Pavel Bure’s No. 10).

While he doesn’t have any front-office experience, Linden does have extensive business history (commercial and real estate developments; a line of fitness clubs) and previously served as the president of the National Hockey League Players’ Association.

“We believe in Trevor’s leadership abilities,” Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini said. “His 20 years of NHL experience including seven as team captain, his role as NHLPA President, community leader and businessman offers a very special skill set; one that will positively shape the direction of this club in the future.”

According to the Canucks’ press release, Linden will be responsible for “all hockey operations, including the coaching and scouting staffs, player procurement and development, and minor league affiliations and operations.”

The Linden hire is just the beginning of what promises to be an interesting transition in Vancouver. Following Mike Gillis’ dismissal yesterday, the team still needs to fill its general manager role and it stands to reason Linden would have influence in that decision, as he’ll essentially be working in lockstep with the new GM.

Linden’s return to Vancouver also follows in a recent trend throughout the NHL. Last year, former Colorado great Joe Sakic was promoted to vice president of Avalanche hockey ops and, earlier this season, ex-Sabres fan favorite Pat LaFontaine returned in a (temporary) presidency role to help with the transition after the team fired GM Darcy Regier and head coach Ron Rolston.

Other franchise legends that have returned to serve as team president include Boston’s Cam Neely and St. Louis’ Al MacInnis (who now serves as an advisor to the GM after several years as VP of hockey ops.)

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara
Leave a comment

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.

Kassian suspended without pay, placed in Stage 2 of Substance Abuse Program

Anaheim Ducks v Vancouver Canucks
1 Comment

Zack Kassian may have avoided major injuries stemming from his Sunday car accident, but it likely sent the signal that he may need help.

The response: he was placed in Stage Two of the Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program (SABH) of the NHL and NHLPA on Monday.

According to the league’s release, Kassian “will be suspended without pay until cleared for on-ice competition by the program administrators.”

Speaking of being suspended without pay, here’s a key detail:

The 24-year-old ended up with a broken nose and broken foot from that accident. The 2015-16 season was set to be his first campaign in the Montreal Canadiens organization after a tumultuous time with the Vancouver Canucks.

Kassian spoke of becoming more mature heading to Montreal, but the Canadiens were critical of his actions, wondering how many wake-up calls someone can get.

In case you’re wondering about the difference between stage one and two: