Colton Orr, Roberto Luongo

Linden denies rumors he’ll be new Canucks president


Former Canucks captain Trevor Linden has refuted rumors that he could return to his former club in an executive capacity, perhaps as president.

The Province newspaper has a transcript of Linden’s interview on Global TV this morning.

“I haven’t (talked to the Canucks about a job),” he said. “I think it’s interesting…when teams struggle, there’s lots of speculation.”

He added: “I’m enjoying running my (fitness) clubs. Our fitness business has been successful, we’re launching a great new concept right now. Enjoying life.”

Whether Linden was being entirely truthful, we’ll know soon enough. But at this point, it remains anyone’s guess what ownership will do. General manager Mike Gillis and head coach John Tortorella could both be fired; they could both be back; or one could be back, the other gone. Without a direct line to the Aquilinis, it’s impossible to cut through all the noise and say definitively what’s going to happen.

We will say this, though — the “Fire Gillis” chants last night didn’t help the GM’s case, and nor did the team’s lackluster performance help the coach’s case.

Related: Could Markus Naslund be on his way back to Vancouver?

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
1 Comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”

Oilers place Scrivens on waivers

Jordan Martinook, Ben Scrivens
Leave a comment

The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.

Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.

It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.

Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.

He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.

Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.

If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.

The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.

The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.