Sochi Olympics Ice Hockey Men

Russia names Znarok national team head coach

1 Comment

Three weeks after firing Zinetula Bilyaletdinov in the wake of the Sochi Olympic disappointment, the Russian hockey federation has hired HC Dynamo Moscow bench boss Oleg Znarok as its new national team head coach.

Znarok, 51, has been the coach of Dynamo since 2010 and led the team to consecutive Gagarin Cup (KHL playoff championship) titles in 2011 and ’12. The former Latvian winger had a lengthy playing career in Europe prior to coaching, but did briefly play with AHL Maine during the 1991-92 campaign.

“After a round of negotiations, we have decided to ask Oleg Znarok to take over as the head coach of the Russian ice hockey team”, said Russian hockey federation prez Vladislav Tretyak said, per Reuters. “We have just had a meeting with the Russian Minister for Sport, Vitaly Mutko, where it was approved that Oleg Znarok, who is experienced and has shown that he has been successful in all his previous posts, should be appointed.”

It’s worth noting that Znarok has a history with Alex Ovechkin, having coached the Washington captain at Dynamo during the NHL lockout.

Znarok will face some challenges in his new gig. He inherits a team that’s come under great fire over the last month, culminating with Bilyatendinov’s departure on Mar. 5. The team that finished fifth in Sochi was considered one of the greatest disappointments in Russian hockey history, and Bilyaletdinov’s coaching acumen came under fire in a piece from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, in which Pens center Evgeni Malkin was reportedly frustrated with many of the strategical and personnel decisions made in Sochi.

Russia managed just two regulation wins at the Winter Games, against Slovenia and Norway, and were bounced in the quarterfinal round by Finland.

Sabres place Lehner on IR; Recall Lieuwen

Connor Brown, Robin Lehner
Leave a comment

They’re just one game into their regular season, but the Buffalo Sabres have already had to shift things around in their crease.

The Sabres announced that they have placed starting goaltender Robin Lehner on injured reserve after he was knocked out of Thursday’s game with a lower-body injury.

In a corresponding move, the club has recalled Nathan Lieuwen from their AHL affiliate in Rochester.

The 24-year-old didn’t play in the NHL last season, but he did have a 1-4-0 record with a 2.98 goals-against-average and a .906 save percentage in seven games during the 2013-14 season.

Lieuwen was Buffalo’s sixth round pick, 167th overall, in the 2011 draft.

The Sabres also announced that they have loaned defenseman Jake McCabe and goaltender Linus Ullmark to the Rochester Americans (AHL).

McCabe was a healthy scratch in Thursday’s game against Ottawa, while Ullmark is being activated off I.R. after having double hip surgery during the off-season.



Chara ‘doubtful’ for game against rival Canadiens

Brad Marchand, Zdeno Chara
Leave a comment

It looks like the Boston Bruins will be without their captain again on Saturday night.

Head coach Claude Julien told members of the media that Zdeno Chara is considered doubtful for tonight’s game against the Montreal Canadiens.

Chara suffered an upper-body injury during the preseason and he’s already been forced to miss Boston’s season opening loss to the Jets.

Per CSN, Chara says he’s improving but he won’t return to the lineup until he’s as close to 100 percent as possible.

“Every area of the injury is improving,” said Chara. “Hopefully it’s not long before I’m free of any kind of discomfort. That’s what we’re doing right now…we’re being patient. For sure you don’t want to come back, and be half of what you are…and basically hurting yourself and the team. And you’re putting yourself in a position where you could be missing more time. At this time of the season, I think it’s important to be as close as you can be to 100 percent.”

Based on the number of defensive mistakes they committed on Thursday, the Bruins need Chara back as soon as possible: