Kesler won’t waive NTC for Rangers, nixes Vigneault reunion


The New York Rangers are interested in Ryan Kesler, but the feeling isn’t mutual.

Kesler has reportedly refused to waive his no-trade clause for a potential deal to the Rangers, according to the New York Post. The report has since been confirmed by ESPN New York, essentially killing any chance of a Kesler-Alain Vigneault reunion in the Big Apple.

Kesler, 29, has also reportedly shot down any potential move to Columbus as well.

Philadelphia, Anaheim and Pittsburgh have emerged as the three most rumored suitors for Kesler’s services. The 29-year-old has been shopped around by Vancouver and is arguably the biggest impact player available on the trade market, though it’s unclear of Canucks GM Mike Gillis will be able to orchestrate the right deal prior to Wednesday’s deadline.

Turning down New York is an interesting move from Kesler, as he enjoyed some of the best years of his career under Vigneault. That includes the 2010-11 season, when Kesler scored a career-high 41 goals and captured his first Selke Trophy as the league’s top defensive forward.

That said, Vigneault and Kesler didn’t always see eye-to-eye on things and there were reports of discord among the two.

It’s unknown what the Rangers were offering for Kesler, though Vancouver’s reported asking price is a roster player, first-round pick and a prospect.

Related: PHT Extra: Where will Kesler end up?

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit
1 Comment

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.

Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.

Flames acquire Freddie Hamilton, brother of Dougie

Freddie Hamilton
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Roughly three months after acquiring Dougie Hamilton, the Calgary Flames have brought his brother on board too.

Freddie Hamilton was pried away from the Colorado Avalanche for the cost a 2016 conditional seventh-round draft pick, per the Avalanche’s website. The Flames announced that he will report to AHL Stockton.

Freddie, who is the older of the two at 23, is a center that excelled offensively in the OHL and has chipped in at the AHL level. However, he has just one point in 29 contests with Colorado and the San Jose Sharks.

This is obviously not a big trade, but perhaps Freddie will eventually become a solid member of the Flames’ supporting cast. If nothing else, it didn’t cost Calgary much to reunite the brothers. The duo previously played together with the Niagara IceDogs.