It’s easy to forget that the Buffalo Sabres were playing a game while the Ryan Miller trade was announced. Remarkably, they managed to beat the San Jose Sharks 4-2 on Friday amid all the distractions.
The Sabres didn’t deny how odd it felt to play while learning that their captain Steve Ott and franchise goalie Miller had been traded. Tyler Myers called it a “strange game” while Marcus Foligno tried to treat it as business as usual.
“You have to be professional,” Foligno said.
“It was tough, but give the guys credit,” Head coach Ted Nolan said. “They battled.”
Speaking of being a professional, Matt Moulson continues to drive his trade value up, as he scored a game-winning goal on Friday after sending Buffalo into OT on Wednesday. Teams certainly must be keeping tabs on a winger who found the net for the 17th time between his games in Buffalo and with the New York Islanders this season.
If you want to talk about strange timing, the Sabres are enjoying their first three-game winning streak of the season. Jhonas Enroth made a strong argument for a few extra looks even with Jaroslav Halak headed to town (for now?) by stopping 36 out of 38 shots.
Considering how conditional draft picks may work out, many hardcore Buffalo Sabres fans might be as interested in the New York Islanders’ and St. Louis Blues’ progress as this season goes on. Still, the current roster must play on, and they’ve looked scrappy since returning from the Olympic break.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.