Just in case everybody forgot, Martin Erat still wants to be traded


With reports swirling about Ryan Kesler and Martin St. Louis demanding to be moved out of Vancouver and Tampa Bay, Caps forward Martin Erat is reminding people of his long-standing desire to be dealt.

From the Washington Post:

Erat, 32, who just returned to Washington after representing the Czech Republic in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, said Wednesday he still wants the Capitals to trade him but declined to elaborate further.

The timing of this makes sense. Erat didn’t exactly have a boatload of suitors when he first made the demand back in November and probably has even fewer now, given trade front developments at the forward position (Kesler, St. Louis, Thomas Vanek rejecting the Islanders’ extension offer, the likelihood Mike Cammalleri goes to market, etc. etc.)

So, perhaps a gentle reminder will kickstart things a bit. Or maybe Erat was just responding to a reporter’s query. Whatever the case, it’s back out there!

As for what teams are potentially acquiring: Erat has one goal and 21 assists in 51 games this year, with two years left on his deal at $4.5 million per. His lack of production has been a running theme but is slightly overblown and exacerbated by the paltry goal total — he’s actually tied with Mikhail Grabovksi for the fourth-most assists on the team, and has six points in his last eight games.

Caps GM George McPhee said he’s willing to move Erat by the deadline.

“If he still wants to be traded, we’ll try to accommodate it,” McPhee said. “It’s been a difficult year with transactions. had this been a typical year, we might have been able to move him within weeks of his request but that wasn’t the case this year.”

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit
Leave a comment

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. For one thing, Torres is a repeat offender who once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.

Flames acquire Freddie Hamilton, brother of Dougie

Freddie Hamilton
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Roughly three months after acquiring Dougie Hamilton, the Calgary Flames have brought his brother on board too.

Freddie Hamilton was pried away from the Colorado Avalanche for the cost a 2016 conditional seventh-round draft pick, per the Avalanche’s website. The Flames announced that he will report to AHL Stockton.

Freddie, who is the older of the two at 23, is a center that excelled offensively in the OHL and has chipped in at the AHL level. However, he has just one point in 29 contests with Colorado and the San Jose Sharks.

This is obviously not a big trade, but perhaps Freddie will eventually become a solid member of the Flames’ supporting cast. If nothing else, it didn’t cost Calgary much to reunite the brothers. The duo previously played together with the Niagara IceDogs.