Backstrom: I was tested Wednesday, informed of results Sunday (Update: NHL releases statement)


The specifics of Nicklas Backstrom’s failed drug test are beginning to come to light.

Following Sweden’s 3-0 loss to Canada in the gold medal hockey final, an emotional Backstrom took to the podium and tried to explain why he was banned from competing in Sunday’s game — and how he learned of the decision just prior to puck drop:

“I was ready to play probably the biggest game of my career, and two-and-a-half hours before the game I got pulled aside,” Backstrom said, per the Washington Post. “It’s sad.”

Here’s Backstrom’s take on the incident, from Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston:

Ergo, Backstrom competed in Sweden’s 2-1 semifinal win over Finland following his failed test on the 19th.

Here’s the IIHF’s side of things, from WaPo’s Dave Sheinin:

Backstrom, 26, said he’s been taking allergy medicine daily for the last seven years, with a Swedish team doctor claiming that included the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. Backstrom had been a vital contributor for Sweden leading up to the gold medal game in Sochi, notching four assists through five games while averaging over 18 minutes per night. What’s more, his presence in the middle was crucial as Sweden had lost a pair of centers — Henrik Zetterberg, who was hurt during the tournament, and Henrik Sedin, who was removed from the team just prior to the start of the Games.

As for why Backstrom’s test results came back so late?

According to Sheinin, the IIHF medical chief said “we have a lot of tests going on.”

UPDATE: The NHL has issued the following statement…

“We understand that Nicklas Backstrom tested positive for a substance banned ‘in competition’ by the International Olympic Committee. It is our further understanding that the positive test was the result of a common allergy medication taken by the player knowingly, with the approval of the team doctor and without the intention of gaining an illegal or improper performance-enhancing benefit. In addition, the specific substance that resulted in the positive test is not currently on the League’s Prohibited Substances List.

“Subject to confirmation of the facts as we understand them, and given the fact that the substance is neither prohibited in the NHL nor was used in an improper manner here, we do not anticipate there being any consequences relative to Nicklas’ eligibility to participate in games for the Washington Capitals.”

Report: Islanders cut first-rounder Barzal from camp

Mathew Barzal
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It seems Mathew Barzal has played in his last game in a New York Islanders’ uniform for a little while.

Barzal took part in the Islanders’ preseason finale against the Washington Capitals on Sunday, but after that contest the Islanders decided to return him to WHL Seattle, per Newsday’s Arthur Staple.

He was taken with the 16th overall pick in 2015 NHL Entry Draft. That selection was well-traveled as it originally belonged to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but was involved in the David Perron trade and then moved to the Islanders as part of Edmonton’s deal to get Griffin Reinhart.

Barzal is noteworthy for his skill and speed, but he may have slipped in the draft due to a knee injury he sustained during the 2014-15 campaign.

The Islanders also reassigned Kirill Petrov, Kevin Czuczman, Scott Mayfield, and Adam Pelech to the AHL’s Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.

Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.