SOCHI, RUSSIA - FEBRUARY 19: Paul Martin #7 of the United States skates against the Czech Republic during the Men's Ice Hockey Quarterfinal Playoff on Day 12 of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics at Shayba Arena on February 19, 2014 in Sochi, Russia.

Report: Martin’s sidelined with hand injury (Update: Might miss a month)


As previously reported, defenseman Paul Martin will not be able to play for the United States in its semifinals game against Canada today.

While it was originally thought that an illness was responsible for Martin’s absence, it now looks like he is actually dealing with a hand injury, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Rob Rossi. The severity of his injury isn’t clear yet, so naturally there’s also no timetable for his return.

This is a potentially serious blow for the Pittsburgh Penguins though. They’ve already basically secured the first seed in the Metropolitan Division, but they will be counting on Martin to play a significant role in their playoff run.

This also might prove to be the latest in a string of major injuries to come out of the 2014 Winter Games. The New York Islanders have lost John Tavares to a torn MCL, the Rangers will have to get by without leading scorer Mats Zuccarello because of a non-displaced fracture, and the Florida Panthers lost both Tomas Kopecky and Aleksander Barkov to a head injury and knee problem respectively.

It’s worth adding that Henrik Zetterberg was shutdown during the Olympics due to a back injury, but Red Wings GM Ken Holland felt that unfortunate setback was unrelated to the Winter Games.

Meanwhile, Islanders GM Garth Snow asked why the Olympics should reap the benefits of showcasing the world’s top talent when NHL teams are assuming the risks.

There are certainly arguments to be made in support of the NHL’s continued involvement in the Winter Games, but these injuries will doubtlessly be brought up by those who feel the current NHL relationship with the Olympics should be changed.

Update: Martin is tentatively expected to miss a month, but assessment is coming before the Penguins have had a chance to evaluate him, so that timetable should be taken with a grain of salt.

Ducks name Kesler alternate captain

Ryan Kesler
1 Comment

For the second time in his career, Ryan Kesler is wearing an “A.”

On Thursday, the Anaheim Ducks announced that Kesler would serve as one of the club’s alternate captains this season, taking over for Francois Beauchemin, who signed in Colorado this summer.

With the move, Kesler joins Anaheim’s existing leadership group of captain Ryan Getzlaf, and alternate Corey Perry.

“It’s an honor,” Kesler said, per the Ducks. “It’s special. I’m going to wear it with pride and lead by example.”

As mentioned earlier, Kesler has some experience as an alternate — he wore an “A” in Vancouver from 2008-13, but had it removed prior to the start of the ’13-14 campaign.

It’s not surprising Anaheim went in this direction. GM Bob Murray made a huge investment in Kesler this summer by inking the 31-year-old to a six-year, $41.25M extension.

Diaz could leave Rangers for Europe

Raphael Diaz, Mike Sislo
Leave a comment

Could Raphael Diaz be on his way back to Switzerland?

We’ll know in a month.

Diaz, who lost out on the Rangers’ final blueline spot in training camp, has reported to the club’s AHL affiliate in Hartford but doesn’t seem pleased with his current situation, per the Post:

The 29-year-old Diaz, who cleared waivers last Saturday after the Blueshirts opted to keep rookie Dylan McIlrath as the club’s seventh on the blue line, is interested in the European option if he is not in the NHL.

The Blueshirts have told Diaz they will revisit the situation at the end of October, but have not promised to release him or assign him to a European team at that point.

If Diaz, a Swiss native who represented Switzerland in the 2014 Olympics, does play in Europe during the season, he would have to go through waivers in order to return to the NHL.

Diaz’s agent, Ritch Winter, told the Post that Diaz signed a one-year, $700,000 deal with the Rangers “to play with the Rangers.”

And it’s understandable if Diaz — a journeyman offensive defenseman — isn’t happy with this situation.

While some believe McIlrath earned his roster spot on merit, some think it’s because of his contract status. McIlrath, who’s only 23 and a former first-round pick, would’ve needed to clear waivers to go back to Hartford, and it’s believed he would’ve been claimed by another club.