The Kings’ 1-0 victory over San Jose on Monday was only a brief respite. Their woes continued last night with a 3-0 defeat at the hands of the Phoenix Coyotes.
After playing in an exhausting six contests in just nine days, the slumping Kings will return to Los Angeles. Unfortunately they won’t find much in the way of relief there.
They will get some desperately needed off days, but they also have a tough schedule ahead of them with matches against Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Columbus. After that, the Olympic break will start, but they can’t afford to let their current plunge to extend that far.
“This home stand’s huge for us,” Kings captain Dustin Brown told LA Kings Insider. “You look at the standings, the Pacific Division, these next four games could be the biggest four games of the year.”
After going 1-5-1, the Kings have a narrow lead on third place in the Pacific Division. They have a six-point cushion in the battle for a postseason spot, but have participated in two more games than the top non-playoff team, the Coyotes.
Lately the Kings’ biggest problem has been their ability to score. They have managed to net just two goals in their last four contests. Overall, they’re in the bottom five in the league with 2.31 goals per game.
Still, Brown is confident that the Kings will be able to weather this storm together.
“It’s great when you’re scoring five goals a game, and everything’s easy and you’re winning games,” Brown said. “It’s times like these where we’re struggling to win games and we’re struggling to score goals that it’s important for us to believe in what we have here.”
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.