The contentious relationship between Ivan Telegin and the Winnipeg Jets took a turn — possibly for the better — on Monday.
The Jets announced they lifted Telegin’s suspension and assigned him to CSKA Moscow of the KHL. The development comes months after Telegin refused his assignment to the Jets’ AHL affiliate in St. John’s, instead heading back to Russia.
Here’s more on that incident, from the Winnipeg Free Press:
The 21-year-old winger, who has two years remaining on his entry-level NHL contract, told a teammate on social media he was heading back to Russia, his home country.
Telegin had been assigned to the AHL team early last week.
The Jets issued a brief comment this morning through their communications department that said: “The Winnipeg Jets have suspended Ivan Telegin for failure to report to the St. John’s IceCaps due to personal reasons.”
Telegin suffered through a concussion and post-concussion symptoms for much of last season, dragging into the spring and summer.
A fourth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Telegin was a former running mate of Jets prospect Mark Schiefele with OHL Barrie. He’s the second young Russian player to bolt Winnipeg for the KHL, joining former first-round pick Alexander Burmistrov.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.