Filip Forsberg is on his way back to Milwaukee.
On Friday, the Preds announced that Forsberg — fresh off winning Most Valuable Player at the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships — will be reassigned to the AHL Admirals.
Forsberg, 19, has already done a tour in Milwaukee, scoring eight points in seven games earlier this season. On Wednesday, he was released from the Swedish junior team and returned directly to Nashville, where he was a healthy scratch for the club’s 4-3 loss at home to Anaheim on Thursday.
On the year, Forsberg’s appeared in 12 games for the Preds, scoring one goal and five points. He hasn’t suited up for the club since Nov. 15, though, as head coach Barry Trotz said the youngster still needs some seasoning before becoming a regular contributor at the NHL level.
“He’s a tremendous young kid. He has a lot of ability. He has a long way to go to play in the National Hockey League on a regular basis. I shouldn’t say play in the National Hockey League — to produce in the National Hockey League,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “I think he has a lot of great tools, exceptional hands and is a quality young man, but there’s still a long way for him to go.”
It’s worth noting that Elias Lindholm, Forsberg’s World Juniors running mate and second-leading Swedish scorer, score three points in his first post-WJC game last night, helping Carolina beat Toronto 6-1.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.