After starting in five straight games, Philipp Grubauer will warm the bench Saturday night, allowing Braden Holtby to play for the first time in two weeks, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
Holtby has been waiting for his chance at redemption after allowing 10 goals in his last two starts. The rise of 22-year-old netminder Grubauer has put Holtby’s status as the team’s starter into question, but he’s hoping to grow through adversity.
Meanwhile, Michal Neuvirth will be listed as a healthy scratch for the 10th consecutive contest. Like Holtby, Neuvirth has expressed his frustrations over the situation. However, at this point Neuvirth’s agent would like to see his client get traded.
Grubauer has only played in 13 career NHL games, so his spot on the team isn’t secure. A strong showing by Holtby against the Minnesota Wild tonight could go a long way towards re-establishing the former norm in Washington. At the same time, if the Wild light up Holtby, then it will only serve to deepen the goaltending controversy.
Jakub Voracek totally understands why nobody’s expecting much from the Philadelphia Flyers. When a team finishes 14 points out of the playoffs the year before, that’s typically going to be the case.
“We weren’t good enough last year, let’s face it,” Voracek told CSN Philly.
So, no, it doesn’t upset him that the Flyers aren’t considered among the Stanley Cup favorites.
That being said, “it makes you feel you want to prove them wrong.”
The Flyers get going tonight with a tough game against the Lightning in Tampa Bay. They also play Saturday in Florida against the Panthers, before a rematch with the Panthers Monday in Philadelphia.
“My biggest concern would be getting off to a good start,” GM Ron Hextall said. “That’s one thing that we need to do.”
That’s something they didn’t do last year. In fact, they won just once in their first six games. By the end of November, they were 8-12-3 and in a big hole — one that proved too deep to climb out of.
Related: Flyers to start season with seven defensemen
The Arizona Coyotes might not be using John Scott‘s services after all.
The team waived him this afternoon, per Craig Morgan. It’s possible that the Coyotes are simply giving themselves options as Scott clearing would allow them to send him down quickly at any point until he plays in 10 games or 30 days pass. At the same time, any team looking for a gritty fourth-line forward or third-pairing defenseman might be tempted to claim him in light of his affordable $575K cap hit for the 2015-16 campaign.
Scott is an imposing presence on the ice at 6-foot-8 and 260 pounds, but he doesn’t bring much to the table other than his physical play and willingness to drop the gloves. In terms of offensive abilities, he’s among the least capable in the league. In fact, the four points he recorded last season with the San Jose Sharks represented a career-high for the 33-year-old.
Meanwhile, Dan Cleary went unclaimed on waivers, according to Bob McKenzie, setting the stage for him to be reassigned to the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins.