Now that Jonathan Quick’s conditioning assignment with AHL Manchester has been deep-sixed due to travel/weather issues, it sounds like his next game will be at the NHL level — and possibly soon.
“I feel good,” Quick said following Friday’s practice, per LA Kings Insider. “I think the next step is to get some game action. I think that’d be the next step. So it’s up to the coaches, trainers to decide when they want me to take that step.”
Quick, who hasn’t played since getting hurt in Buffalo on Nov. 12, was traveling with the Kings on their recently-completed four-game road swing. The hope was to ship him off to Manchester for this weekend but, given the numerous winter storms in the eastern United States, those plans were dashed.
The Kings, losers of five straight, kick off a lengthy homestand starting Saturday against Vancouver. From there they host Minnesota, Boston, Detroit and Vancouver again, and it sounds as though Quick’s return will come during one of those games.
“I want to play a game,” Quick said. “So wherever they want me to play, I’ll play.”
The 27-year-old still needs to be activated from IR before he can suit up, at which time the Kings will send December co-Rookie of the Month Martin Jones back to the Monarchs. Once all that’s done, Quick will have roughly one month of action to get in shape for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, where he will be one of the three American goalies along with Ryan Miller and Jimmy Howard.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.