Milan Lucic

Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver


Over the weekend, video surfaced of Boston forward Milan Lucic in an altercation on a Vancouver street just hours after a 6-2 loss to the Canucks at Rogers Arena.

Today Lucic addressed the incident, claiming he was the “victim of an attack” while suggesting he would be exploring his legal options.

“I did everything I could to restrain myself and not retaliate,” he told The Province.

He also took aim at his hometown (Lucic grew up in Vancouver and played junior hockey for the WHL Giants) and expressed dismay at the events that’ve transpired since he 2011 Stanley Cup Final.

“I have no reason left to defend my city and the people in my city,” Lucic said, as per the Vancouver Sun. “I’m disgusted and outraged that it had to come to something like that.

“So, as far as that goes, other than being at Rogers Arena, no one will ever see me in downtown Vancouver ever again … I’ve been downtown Vancouver 50, 60 times and I’ve never even come close to an altercation. But this one obviously ended in one.”

As mentioned, this isn’t the first time Lucic has had issues with Vancouver. In February 2012, his hometown church was vandalized with “Go Canucks” tags and, during the ’11 Cup Final, there were reports of people harassing his grandparents in Rogers Arena.

“That’s one of the worst parts. It’s in my hometown,” Lucic said. “Going back to the spray painting of the church and my grandparents and parents and family getting harassed during the final against the Canucks in 2011, it’s escalated to a point where I get attacked for just minding my own business.”

Jason Demers tweets #FreeTorres, gets mocked

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One

Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.

We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.

It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”

Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)

Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.

So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”

… You get the idea.

The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.

The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.

Bruins list Chara on IR, for now

Zdeno Chara

Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.

It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.

The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.

As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.

Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?

The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.

This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.