Philadelphia Flyers GM Paul Holmgren announced that Vincent Lecavalier will miss three-to-four weeks with a non-displaced fracture in his back, CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports.
The 33-year-old center hasn’t played since Nov. 30 because of his issue, which was originally believed to be merely back spasms.
He’s had his fair share of bad luck with injuries the past few seasons, but the calendar year of 2013 has really presented headaches. Here’s a quick tally, which includes his final campaign with the Tampa Bay Lightning:
- He missed nine games last season with a lower-body injury.
- Lecavalier missed three more with lower-body issues in October.
- While he came back sooner than expected, he suffered a facial injury that sidelined him for one game stemming from a fight.
When he’s been able to suit up for the Flyers, he’s been effective; he has nine goals and 14 points in 22 games played. Unfortunately for Philly, it looks like he won’t be able to play until 2014 rolls around.
It doesn’t sound like the Flyers are going to make a trade or free agent acquisition in his absence, as Panaccio reports that Holmgren expects the team’s other 20 players to “step up.”
In slightly less interesting Los Angeles Kings news than the latest in the Mike Richards fiasco, the team handed Peter Budaj a one-year, two-way deal on Friday.
The veteran goalie’s contract pays $575K on the NHL level and $100K in the AHL (though it’s $150K guaranteed), according to Hockey’s Cap.
At the moment, it sounds like Budaj will be third on the Kings’ goalie depth chart. That says as much about how things have been going lately for Los Angeles than Budaj’s work on a PTO.
As noted above, one of the more significant moves in Budaj’s favor came when the New York Islanders claimed Jean-Francois Berube off of waivers this week.
The Kings actually waived Budaj before signing him, so this has to be a relief to a goalie with a fairly robust resume as a backup.
All apologies to Budaj, but it’s probably true that the Kings would prefer not to see him at the NHL level very often in 2015-16.
The Los Angeles Kings announced today that they have “reached an agreement with Mike Richards to resolve the grievance filed in relation to the termination of his NHL Standard Players Contract. The terms are agreeable to all parties.”
The club said that it will not be commenting further “on the terms” of the settlement.
The NHLPA released a similar statement.
It was reported earlier in the week that a settlement was close to being reached; however, it wasn’t clear what salary-cap penalties the Kings would incur.
We’re starting to find out some details now:
How the final numbers differ from what the Kings would have incurred if they’d bought Richards out will be interesting to see. And if there are differences, how will they be justified?