Dallas Stars v Detroit Red Wings - Game Two

‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal


With his television future uncertain following this week’s historic deal between the NHL and Rogers Communication, Don Cherry used Saturday’s Coach’s Corner to defend the long running and controversial segment.

“Everybody asks me about Coach’s Corner. Now look, I’m happy the way things are,” Cherry said during the first period intermission of the Toronto Maple Leafs-Montreal Canadiens game on Hockey Night in Canada.

“If you’re No. 1 … I know I’m good. I didn’t fall off the turnip truck. I know everybody watches, so all I’m saying is take it easy, don’t try to ruin a good thing. Just leave us alone and we’ll be just as good next year.”

Cherry’s future was suddenly put up in the air this week when the massive 12-year, $5.2 billion TV deal between the league and Rogers was announced Tuesday morning.

Even the 79-year-old Canadian icon didn’t have answers earlier in the week.

“I have no idea what’s going on. I haven’t talked to CBC, I didn’t see the press conference, I was en route somewhere,” Cherry said, as per The Canadian Press. “So I’m asking you guys — do I have a job?”

Prior to sounding off about the Rogers-NHL deal, Cherry took time to discuss a concussion lawsuit filed against the NHL by a reported 200 former players.

“This is my opinion. Not CBC’s, not Rogers or anything like that,” said Cherry. “Listen, this is a money grab as far as I’m concerned.

“The big thing is it’s an insult to me. I coached in the American (Hockey) League, I coached in the National Hockey League. Do you think I would let a guy go on if the doctor came to me and said, ‘he shouldn’t play.’ That’s absolute nonsense. It’s a disgrace to say I would do that and the doctors … as far as I’m concerned, it’s a money grab.”

Never boring.

Habs claim Byron off waivers from Flames

Paul Byron
Leave a comment

Montreal added some forward depth on Tuesday, acquiring diminutive forward Paul Byron off waivers from Calgary.

Byron, 26, is a veteran of nearly 150 career NHL games, most coming with the Flames. Despite fairly solid production over the last two years — 40 points in 104 games — he was exposed to waivers on Monday, along with fellow forward Mason Raymond.

(Calgary does have a logjam of players at forward, hence parting ways with Byron and Raymond.)

Byron can play both wing and center but, at 5-foot-7, 153 pounds, is one of the most undersized skaters in the league. Thankfully for him, Montreal has an affinity for undersized forwards, with the likes of Brendan Gallagher (5-foot-9, 184 pounds) and David Desharnais (5-foot-7, 174 pounds) already on the active roster.

Byron could also fill Zack Kassian‘s roster spot. Kassian is currently suspended without pay while undergoing Stage 2 of the NHL’s Substance Abuse program.

Isles claim goalie Berube off waivers

Evgeny Kuznetsov, Jaroslav Halak
1 Comment

The New York Islanders have claimed goalie Jean-Francois Berube off waivers from the Los Angeles Kings, the club announced today.

Berube won the Calder Cup last season with AHL Manchester, but the 24-year-old has yet to appear in an NHL game.

That the Isles claimed Berube could be evidence that Jaroslav Halak will not be ready to start the season after all.

If that’s the case, Berube would back up Thomas Greiss, with Stephon Williams expected to go to the AHL.

The Isles open their regular season Friday at home versus the Blackhawks, then play the next day in Chicago.