Veteran NHL goalie Rick DiPietro has been released from his professional try out contract with the AHL Charlotte Checkers, the club announced on Tuesday.
The news comes after DiPietro went 0-4-0 with a 5.18 GAA and .846 save percentage with the Checkers, Carolina’s minor-league affiliate. The 32-year-old netminder joined the club last month in the wake of injuries to Cam Ward and Anton Khudobin.
“[DiPietro] called [‘Canes GM] Jim Rutherford last night and thanked him for the opportunity,” Checkers head coach Jeff Daniels explained. “He just didn’t think it was going to go anywhere.
“I talked to him last week and said right now we have three goalies here and we’re waiting for one of them to step up and be the guy. The opportunity was there for him to do that, but he didn’t feel that it was going to go his way.”
The ‘Canes are getting healthier in goal — Ward recently returned from injury — and third-stringer Justin Peters played extremely well in relief, meaning the opportunity for DiPietro to play in the NHL again never came to fruition.
The former first overall pick (2000 NHL Entry Draft) hasn’t played in the NHL since last season, when he made three appearances for the Islanders, going winless with a 4.09 GAA. The Islanders bought out the remainder eight years of his contract this summer, and will pay him $1.5 million for each of the next 16 years.
When asked what was next in his comeback attempt, DiPietro didn’t have any answers.
“I don’t know,” he said. “I haven’t even thought about that, to be honest.”
Report: Islanders cut first-rounder Barzal from camp
It seems Mathew Barzal has played in his last game in a New York Islanders’ uniform for a little while.
Barzal took part in the Islanders’ preseason finale against the Washington Capitals on Sunday, but after that contest the Islanders decided to return him to WHL Seattle, per Newsday’s Arthur Staple.
He was taken with the 16th overall pick in 2015 NHL Entry Draft. That selection was well-traveled as it originally belonged to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but was involved in the David Perron trade and then moved to the Islanders as part of Edmonton’s deal to get Griffin Reinhart.
Barzal is noteworthy for his skill and speed, but he may have slipped in the draft due to a knee injury he sustained during the 2014-15 campaign.
The Islanders also reassigned Kirill Petrov, Kevin Czuczman, Scott Mayfield, and Adam Pelech to the AHL’s Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension
The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.
It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.
Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.