Ruff not surprised old boss Regier was fired


Even after being fired by the Buffalo Sabres in February, Lindy Ruff couldn’t help but keep tabs on the squad. Now the bench boss in Dallas, the man who coached 1,165 regular season contests with Buffalo has watched the occasional Sabres’ game this season.

He noted the crowd’s reaction and wasn’t surprised when Darcy Regier, Ruff’s longtime friend and the man who fired him, was shown the door yesterday along with coach Ron Rolston.

Through everything that’s happened this year, Ruff has remained supportive of Regier. He’s quick to defend the former general manager, even when it comes to Regier’s decision to replace him.

“It wasn’t easy for Darcy, but ultimately, it was the right move. I’ve said that. I wasn’t getting the job done. We had some games sitting there that I felt we should have won and we didn’t. For that I paid the price,” Ruff told the Edmonton Journal.

He also credited Regier with sticking with him through plenty of tough times during his nearly 16-year tenure as the team’s head coach.

With Regier now gone too, an era is done in Buffalo. There were certainly some highlights during the time of Regier and Ruff, but it’s hard to look at what the Sabres have gone through over the last several years as anything but a rough patch. Perhaps there are better days ahead for Buffalo.

It would certainly be hard to envision things getting worse than they have been so far this season.


Buffalo shakeup: Regier, Rolston fired; LaFontaine, Nolan hired

Looking back at Nolan’s first tour in Buffalo

Miller sees opportunity for Sabres to ‘reset’ as organization

Who will LaFontaine hire as Buffalo’s next GM?

LaFontaine expects ‘nothing but their best efforts’ from Sabres

Timeline: Regier era in Buffalo

Kings grab goalie insurance by signing Budaj

LOS ANGELES, CA - SEPTEMBER 22: Jhonas Enroth #1 and Peter Budaj #31 of the Los Angeles Kings stretch before a game against the Arizona Coyotes at STAPLES Center on September 22, 2015 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Andrew D. Bernstein/NHLI via Getty Images)
via Los Angeles Kings
Leave a comment

In slightly less interesting Los Angeles Kings news than the latest in the Mike Richards fiasco, the team handed Peter Budaj a one-year, two-way deal on Friday.

The veteran goalie’s contract pays $575K on the NHL level and $100K in the AHL (though it’s $150K guaranteed), according to Hockey’s Cap.

At the moment, it sounds like Budaj will be third on the Kings’ goalie depth chart. That says as much about how things have been going lately for Los Angeles than Budaj’s work on a PTO.

As noted above, one of the more significant moves in Budaj’s favor came when the New York Islanders claimed Jean-Francois Berube off of waivers this week.

The Kings actually waived Budaj before signing him, so this has to be a relief to a goalie with a fairly robust resume as a backup.

All apologies to Budaj, but it’s probably true that the Kings would prefer not to see him at the NHL level very often in 2015-16.

Kings, NHLPA announce settlement in Richards grievance

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers

The Los Angeles Kings announced today that they have “reached an agreement with Mike Richards to resolve the grievance filed in relation to the termination of his NHL Standard Players Contract. The terms are agreeable to all parties.”

The club said that it will not be commenting further “on the terms” of the settlement.

The NHLPA released a similar statement.

It was reported earlier in the week that a settlement was close to being reached; however, it wasn’t clear what salary-cap penalties the Kings would incur.

We’re starting to find out some details now:

How the final numbers differ from what the Kings would have incurred if they’d bought Richards out will be interesting to see. And if there are differences, how will they be justified?

Stay tuned.