Image (1) GYI0060387074-sedins-lam-getty-thumb-250x190-21546.jpg for post 6021

Canucks re-sign Sedins — four years, $28 million each


Big news out of Vancouver — the Canucks have re-signed forwards Daniel and Henrik Sedin to identical four-year, $28 million contracts.

“Daniel and Henrik are exemplary leaders, teammates and humanitarians and we’re very pleased to have them as part of our team for the long-term,” said general manager Mike Gillis in a release. “Few players in the history of this club have had more significant roles in contributing to the success of this team and to our community and we look forward to many more years with their positive influence leading the way.”

The twins, who turned 33 in September, were pending unrestricted free agents. Now the Canucks have them under contract through the 2017-18 season, after which they’ll be 37 years old.

It’s been reported the Sedins wanted a five-year term and the Canucks were pushing for three. If true, they obviously compromised at four.

As for the dollar amount, it’s hard to argue Vancouver didn’t do well here. Per CapGeek, there are 15 NHLers with a cap hit higher than $7 million, and there will be many more to come in the next four years as the upper limit rises.

Earlier this week, Gillis refuted the notion that term was the main sticking point in negotiations.

“We’re trying to figure out what the cap is going to be next year and the upcoming years and really that’s the key,” said Gillis, per the Vancouver Sun. “Those guys have been fantastic people, No. 1, for this organization. They’ve been great players and it’s really a function of how you allocate money in a cap system and we’re just trying to ensure we do the right thing for the entire organization and for Daniel and Henrik.”


Sharks send three to AHL; still waiting on Torres suspension

Nikolay Goldobin, Brent Burns
Leave a comment

The San Jose Sharks have assigned forwards Nikolay Goldobin and Melker Karlsson and defenseman Mirco Mueller to AHL San Jose.

Goldobin and Mueller are both first-round picks — the former in 2014, the latter in 2013.

Goldobin had one goal and two assists in five preseason games. It’s possible he could be called back up when the NHL suspends Raffi Torres.

Torres remains part of the 23-man roster (see below) but is facing a lengthy ban for his hit on Anaheim’s Jakub Silfverberg. Torres has a hearing today.

Rookie defenseman Dylan DeMelo is also on the roster. The 22-year-old had one goal and two assists in four preseason games.

Sharks roster

Glencross released from another PTO, this time by Avs

Washington Capitals v Ottawa Senators
1 Comment

Curtis Glencross’ hard-luck preseason continued on Monday, as the Avalanche announced they released him from his training camp tryout.

Glencross had previously been cut from Toronto’s camp, which he described as “kind of a shock” move. Following that release, the 32-year-old quickly shifted to Colorado but arrived fairly late in the overall process, and only got a bit of exposure before being let go.

While some thought yesterday’s trade of Freddie Hamilton to Calgary may have opened up a spot for Glencross, the Avs now appear to be going in a different direction.

A two-time 20-goal scorer that netted 13 in 71 games last year, it’s unclear what lies ahead for Glencross.