Ducks say Koivu was knocked out, Dubinsky insists he’s not a dirty player


At this point, you may apply the basics of controversial checks to Brandon Dubinsky’s hit on Saku Koivu: the offender defended his check while the opposition sermonized about getting dirty hits out of the game. At least the one detail that tends to change – the health of the “victim” – is positive, as Bruce Boudreau told reporters that Koivu seemed “OK” after the game.

Sure, Boudreau also admitted that Koivu was “knocked out,” but you take what you can get. (Also positive: the OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports that the 38-year-old didn’t need to undergo an X-Ray on his jaw, either.)

Here’s that hit, via NHL.com:

Koivu dodging serious injury is a big plus, especially since Anaheim’s been a little banged up lately; the Ducks also breathed a sigh of relief Sunday as Corey Perry returned to action after a scare.

That didn’t stop Cam Fowler – who rushed to Koivu’s aid, as well – from bashing Dubinsky’ hit, as Stephens notes.

“Some of the hits throughout the league are something that we need to try and stop and try and prevent as much as we can,” Fowler said.

Dubinsky, 27, defended the check and his reputation in general to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.

“I thought my shoulder and elbow were tucked,” Dubinsky said. “I went out there to make a hit not hurt somebody. I’m not a dirty player.”

Dubinsky hasn’t been suspended by the NHL before, for what it’s worth.

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit
1 Comment

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.

Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.

Flames acquire Freddie Hamilton, brother of Dougie

Freddie Hamilton
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Roughly three months after acquiring Dougie Hamilton, the Calgary Flames have brought his brother on board too.

Freddie Hamilton was pried away from the Colorado Avalanche for the cost a 2016 conditional seventh-round draft pick, per the Avalanche’s website. The Flames announced that he will report to AHL Stockton.

Freddie, who is the older of the two at 23, is a center that excelled offensively in the OHL and has chipped in at the AHL level. However, he has just one point in 29 contests with Colorado and the San Jose Sharks.

This is obviously not a big trade, but perhaps Freddie will eventually become a solid member of the Flames’ supporting cast. If nothing else, it didn’t cost Calgary much to reunite the brothers. The duo previously played together with the Niagara IceDogs.