Tropp: Devane an ‘honest fighter,’ no blame for broken jaw


Buffalo forward Corey Tropp returned to practice on Monday, his first since suffering a broken jaw in a preseason fight with Toronto tough guy Jamie Devane.

While frustrated by the injury, Tropp holds no ill will towards the guy that hurt him.

“I don’t believe it was his intention, Tropp told Buffalo Hockey Beat. “He seems like a pretty honest fighter watching some of his fights. That definitely wasn’t his intention by any means.”

Tropp suffered the injury at the end of the fight, when he and Devane fell to the ice and Tropp hit his face on the playing surface:

While the fight set off a wild melee that resulted in over 200 penalty minutes and two suspensions, Tropp insisted it was a “mutual decision” to scrap and that Devane (refuting Buffalo’s claims that Devane started the fight) and didn’t intentionally slam him to the ice.

“No matter who you are or what type of incident it is, there’s no intent to try to do something like that,” Tropp said. “It doesn’t matter if you absolutely hate the person.

“It’s an accident. I think you’ve seen it a lot lately where guys, when they fall, you can’t really control how they’re going to fall or what’s going to happen.”

Tropp wouldn’t speculate on when he’d be available to return to the Sabres’ lineup, though original estimates pegged his return at 5-6 weeks.

The 24-year-old looked as though he was in line to make the Sabres out of training camp this year. He had a good 2011-12 season, making his NHL debut while scoring eight points in 34 games, but then suffered a season-ending knee injury during AHL Rochester’s season-opening game in October.

Tampa Bay defenseman Radko Gudas hammered him into the boards late in the third period, at which point Tropp tried to put weight on his leg, but was unable to skate.

Tropp suffered ACL and MCL damage on the play, and underwent surgery shortly thereafter.

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
1 Comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”

Oilers place Scrivens on waivers

Jordan Martinook, Ben Scrivens
1 Comment

The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.

Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.

It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.

Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.

He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.

Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.

If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.

The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.

The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.