Veteran NHLer Montador (concussion symptoms) leaves KHL team

1 Comment

Some troubling news out of the KHL over the weekend as former NHL defenseman Steve Montador left his club, Medvescak Zagreb, with lingering concussion effects.

Montador, 33, has taken an indefinite leave — one that might result in his retirement from pro hockey — after feeling recurring symptoms of a concussion suffered with Chicago in March of 2012.

The injury derailed what looked to be a promising tenure with the ‘Hawks. Montador signed a four-year, $11 million deal in 2011 and got off to a solid start, racking up 14 points in his first 52 games.

He was cleared to return almost a full year after suffering the concussion, at which time the Blackhawks placed him on waivers. Unable to find another NHL suitor, he signed with Medvescak in August and proceeded to appear in 11 games.

Montador’s last game with the Croatian-based club came in late September and, over the weekend, he made the decision to walk away.

“This injury reminded me of how important it is to think of your health in the long term, and not just for the time being. I’ve been in this situation before, so I’ve tasted it all,” Montador told the Medvescak website. “I know that I have to be careful and that this step is necessary. That said, I knew that because of the injury I wouldn’t be able to offer as much on the ice as I would want to, and that I’m not at a hundred percent.

“But despite that, the decision wasn’t easy. Actually, there were mixed feelings. On the one hand it was easy because I would like to completely heal the injury, and if I look at it that way, then this was the right decision, but on the other hand it was damn hard to take that step — to leave the team.”

According to the KHL’s website, Montador has returned to Canada to embark on a recovery program.

Torres suspended pending hearing

Raffi Torres, Cory Schneider
1 Comment

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Raffi Torres has been suspended pending his disciplinary hearing with the league for his hit on Ducks forward Jakob Silfverberg.

Torres was assessed a match penalty for targeting Silfverberg’s head on Saturday night.

The 33-year-old missed all of last season with a knee injury, and it looks like the start of his regular season will be delayed once again.

Head coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have come back into the game, but he was held out for precautionary reasons.

Ducks center Ryan Kesler didn’t hide his feelings after the contest.

“(Torres) is the same player every year,” Kesler told reporters. “He needs to learn how to hit. That has no part in our game anymore.”

Oilers place Scrivens on waivers

Jordan Martinook, Ben Scrivens
1 Comment

The Edmonton Oilers placed Ben Scrivens on waivers on Sunday.

Should he go unclaimed, the 29-year-old will be sent to the American Hockey League.

It looks like Edmonton will enter the regular season with Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson as their goaltenders.

Scrivens was the team’s number one goalie last year, but his overall numbers were among the worst for starting goaltenders in the NHL.

He had a 15-26-11 record with a 3.16 goals-against-average and a .890 save percentage in 57 games last season.

Scrivens is scheduled to make $2.3 million in the final year of his contract.

If he does end up in the AHL, the Oilers will carry $1.35 million of dead money on the salary cap.

The move comes one day after Edmonton placed Nikita Nikitin on waivers.

The 29-year-old officially cleared on Sunday afternoon.