RaffiTorres

Report: Sharks’ Torres (ACL) out ‘at least’ six weeks

13 Comments

The San Jose Sharks will be without Raffi Torres for the next six weeks — and possibly more.

Torres, hurt during San Jose’s preseason home opener against Anaheim on Friday, suffered a knee injury that will likely shelve him for the first month of the season, according to CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz.

Kurz also reports the “worst case” scenario could land Torres on IR for 3-4 months:

According to general manager Doug Wilson, the Sharks have not made any final determination as to whether Torres will have surgery. That decision will be made at some point this week, depending on the damage.

“We’ll let the swelling go down and get it diagnosed properly, and go from there. There are many different options to it,” Wilson said.

If Torres does have surgery, he would miss three-to-four months.

The injury occurred during the second period of a 3-2 OT loss, when Torres got tangled with Ducks forward Emerson Etem. Though Sharks head coach Todd McLellan called it “a complete accident,” the collision was forceful enough to knock Torres and Etem out of the game entirely (Torres didn’t return; Etem came out for two more shifts before calling it a night.)

Torres didn’t play in Saturday’s game, a 3-2 OT win over Phoenix.

Torres, 31, was acquired by San Jose at last year’s trade deadline and proceeded to appear in 11 regular season games, scoring six points while racking up 38 hits.

In the playoffs, Torres had an effective first round against Vancouver, scoring the winning OT tally in Game 2 while registering 18 hits.

But then — as it often does with Torres — controversy struck.

He was suspended for the duration of the Western Conference semifinals against Los Angeles after hitting Kings forward Jarret Stoll in the head.

The Sharks jumped to Torres defense following the suspension announcement, calling the decision “grossly unfair.” That earned the organization a stiff $100,000 fine, though the actions taken by Wilson seemed to have an effect on Torres, who said he wanted to return to San Jose following its Game 7 loss to the Kings.

In June, the Sharks re-signed Torres to a three-year, $6 million deal.

Video: Beagle gets stick stuck in visor

Beagle
Leave a comment

Through 40 minutes of action in Game 1 of the second round series between Pittsburgh and Washington and we’ve already seen some big moments, along with a pretty unusual one.

Beagle ended up with a stick lodged into his visor towards the end of the second frame. He tried to get it out himself, but ended up having to go to the bench for assistance. You can see that below:

Stamkos close to game shape, but return might be weeks or months away

Tampa Bay Lightning forward Steven Stamkos (91) competes in the hardest shot competition at the NHL hockey All-Star game skills competition Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016, in Nashville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)
AP Photo
1 Comment

Steve Stamkos began to practice again on Tuesday and he was back out there on Wednesday and Thursday, which some might interpret as him being close to returning. It seems premature to say that definitively.

“It could be weeks. It could be months,” Stamkos said of his timetable, per ESPN. “That’s the tough part.”

The problem isn’t getting back into game shape after undergoing vascular surgery in early April. He feels he’s already close to reaching that objective. The issue is that Stamkos is on blood thinners, which prevents him from taking any contact. It remains to be seen how long he’ll be on blood thinners.

For what it’s worth, Tampa Bay’s Andrei Vasilevskiy underwent the same surgery and was out for two months and the original timetable provided on April 4 for Stamkos was one-to-three months. So based on that, it sounds like it would be surprising if he returned anytime soon.

Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar named Selke finalists

Boston Bruins center Patrice Bergeron celebrates after scoring against the Montreal Canadiens during the second period of an NHL hockey game Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2016, in Montreal. (Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press via AP)
The Canadian Press via AP
Leave a comment

Will Patrice Bergeron join Bob Gainey as the only players to have ever won the Selke Trophy four times?

That’s a distinct possibility after the Bruins center was named as a finalist along with Anaheim’s Ryan Kesler and Los Angeles’ Anze Kopitar.

The Selke Trophy honors the league’s top defensive forward and for three of the last four years, that distinction has gone to Bergeron. However, Kesler and Kopitar have been popular with the voters of this award as well.

Kopitar has finished second in the voting in each of the previous two campaigns while Kesler won back in 2011, though he finished outside of the top-five in each of the last three years prior to the 2015-16 campaign.

Among the trio, Kesler excelled this season on the draw with a 58.5% success rate, which was good for second in the league among forwards who took at least 200 faceoffs. Bergeron was up there too, winning 57.1% of his draws while Kopitar posted a 53.5%. Meanwhile, Bergeron ranked seventh in the NHL with 67 takeaways compared to Kesler’s 39 and Kopitar’s 43. Where Kopitar stood out was in plus/minus as he finished second in the league at plus-34. Kesler was plus-five and Bergeron was plus-12.

Kopitar similarly led the trio with a 57.4% Corsi For versus Bergeron’s 55.9% and Kesler’s 52.9%.

Capitals get Orpik back for series opener

Washington Capitals defenseman Brooks Orpik (44) celebrates his goal with teammates on the bench during the third period of an NHL hockey game against the New Jersey Devils, Saturday, Feb. 20, 2016, in Washington. The Capitals won 4-3. (AP Photo/Nick Wass)
AP Photo
5 Comments

Capitals defenseman Brooks Orpik missed half of Washington’s first round series, but he’s back in time for the opener against his former team.

Orpik last played on April 18 and was regarded as questionable going into tonight’s contest against Pittsburgh. He’s expected to be paired with John Carlson throughout the contest.

Washington’s other projected pairings are Karl Alzner and Matt Niskanen as well as Dmitry Orlov and Nate Schmidt.

Orpik was limited to 41 games during the 2015-16 regular season, but when he did play he averaged 19:48 minutes per contest. He also recorded 125 hits and 102 blocked shots despite missing half the season. The 35-year-old blueliner got his start with Pittsburgh and played in 703 regular season contests with them and an additional 92 postseason contests. This is his second season with Washington.