One restricted free agent not showing concern about being unsigned — at least publicly — is Buffalo’s Cody Hodgson.
On Thursday, the 23-year-old said he’s sure he’ll be re-signing with the Sabres soon.
“I like it here, and we’ll get something done,” Hodgson told the Buffalo News, after practicing with teammates at the First Niagara Center.
Hodgson made $1.66 million annually (with bonuses) on his last deal — his entry-level contract — and rejected Buffalo’s qualifying offer of $826,875. The Sabres don’t have any cap concerns and consider Hodgson, the team’s second-leading scorer last year, to be an integral part of the future, so it’s easy to see why there’s confidence about reaching a deal.
The only issue, it seems, is timing. Buffalo has a history of dragging these RFA deals out.
The Sabres signed Drew Stafford to a new deal two days into their 2009 training camp and, last year, inked Tyler Ennis to an extension hours before the CBA expired and the lockout began.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.