Report: Stepan seeking McDonagh money, Rangers offering ‘bridge’ deal


It appears the New York Rangers and unsigned RFA forward Derek Stepan are still far apart on a new deal, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.

Stepan, who led New York in scoring last year, is believed to be seeking a deal similar to the one teammate Ryan McDonagh signed in July — a six-year, $28.2 million contract with a $4.7 million annual cap hit.

The Rangers, meanwhile, are reportedly sticking to their offer of a “bridge” deal, similar to the one Michael Del Zotto (two years, $5.1 million) received after his entry-level contract expired.

Stepan, 23, made $875,000 annually on his ELC, which expired in July. He’s on record saying he expects a deal to be done by camp, but Rangers GM Glen Sather sounded adamant about not giving term to someone with only three seasons under his belt.

“I am not going to give a long-term contract at this stage and he is a good player, a smart player, a good team guy,” Sather told Edmonton’s Team 1260 earlier this summer. “There is certainly nothing wrong with him, but you need to wait a little while before you get the big bucks.”

Kassian sent to hospital after being involved in car accident

Scott Darling, Zack Kassian

Montreal Canadiens winger Zack Kassian was involved in a car accident early Sunday morning.

According to the Montreal Gazette, Kassian was a passenger in the vehicle that crashed into a tree.

The SUV was being driven by a 20-year-old female at the time of the accident.

Montreal police confirmed that speed didn’t play a factor in the collision, but alcohol may have.

The Canadiens have since confirmed the incident took place and have also mentioned that Kassian was taken to hospital.

A club official described his injuries as being “minor”.

“(Kassian) was all bloodied up and stuff. He was in a daze,” said Steve Petrenko, a resident of the street on which the accident took place. “He had a hard time walking, and he almost took a fall.”

This story will be updated when more information is made available.

Habs and Fleischmann agree on one-year deal

Tomas Fleischmann,
1 Comment

The Montreal Canadiens announced that they have signed Tomas Fleischmann to a one-year contract.

According to TVA Sports, the deal is worth $750,000.

The 31-year-old was invited to camp on a professional tryout, but his preseason performance showed that he could still contribute at the NHL level.

Fleischmann found instant chemistry with new linemates David Desharnais and Dale Weise, and it looks like the trio will open the regular season as Montreal’s third line.

The veteran winger started  last season with Florida, but was traded to Anaheim on Feb. 28. He had a hard time cracking the Duck’s lineup and was a healthy scratch in most of their playoff games last spring.

Fleischmann scored eight goals and 27 points in 66 games last season.