Another day, another development in the Nazem Kadri contract dispute.
On Tuesday, Leafs VP of hockey operations Dave Poulin said the club’s latest offer to Kadri is “fair” and has nothing to do with the fact Toronto’s roughly $5 million away from the salary cap ceiling.
“There’s plenty of money there for both of them [Kadri and fellow unsigned RFA Cody Franson],” Poulin said at Toronto’s charity golf tournament. “It’s not cap related.”
Kadri, who recently denied rumors he was asking for $30 million over six years, finished second on the team in scoring last year with 44 points in 48 games.
We say briefly, because Kadri was back discussing it again on Tuesday.
Nazem Kadri says he’s waiting on the #leafs to make the next move in contract talks.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) September 3, 2013
Kadri feels he has been unfairly portrayed by some regarding his situation. #Leafs
— Rob Longley (@longleysunsport) September 3, 2013
Toronto opens up camp in eight days and, according to Poulin, Kadri or Franson won’t participate without new deals in place.
What’s more, it doesn’t sound as though Toronto will let it affect negotiations.
“We believe it’s a fair offer. It’s representative of the body of work that he has done in his time here,” Poulin explained. “We’re in a good situation with that moving forward.”