Eric Staal, P.K. Subban

Habs GM ready to talk contract extension with Subban


PK Subban isn’t eligible for restricted free agency until next summer, but Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin would like to get his young Norris Trophy-winning defenseman signed to a contract extension well before then.

“I would like to get something done,” Bergevin told reporters today at the club’s season-opening golf tournament, per TSN. “It takes two to tango.”

Whether Subban is ready to do the negotiation dance with the Habs isn’t clear; he reportedly didn’t want to talk about his contract today. The 24-year-old is halfway through a two-year, $5.75 million “bridge” contract with Montreal — one that wasn’t agreed upon until late January, when the 2013 season had already begun.

In terms of cap hit, the highest paid d-man in the NHL is Nashville’s Shea Weber ($7.86 million), just ahead of Minnesota’s Ryan Suter ($7.54 million). With the salary cap expected to rise in the coming years, Subban’s salary expectations should certainly be in the neighborhood of the league leaders.

No hearing scheduled for Burmistrov after Bergeron headshot

1 Comment

Winnipeg forward Alex Burmistrov isn’t in line for a disciplinary hearing for his elbow to the head of Boston’s Patrice Bergeron on Thursday night, an NHL spokesman confirmed to PHT.

Burmistrov was tagged with an illegal check to the head minor late in the first period. Bergeron received a minor roughing penalty for retaliating on the Russian forward, but was able to finish the contest.

Afterward, B’s head coach Claude Julien expressed frustration with the hit.

“It will be interesting how that is being reviewed, and especially to an elite player in the league who’€™s had some [concussion] issues in the past,” Julien said, per WEEI. “I hope they look at it seriously. In my mind, I don’€™t see why there wouldn’t be further consequences [for] that.”

Bergeron said that, while it was “definitely a hit to the head,” Burmistrov did come up to him afterward and apologized.

According to sources of CSNNE’s Joe Haggerty, Burmistrov received a warning from the Department of Player Safety.


After lopsided loss, Julien says it’s ‘not about the young D’

Claude Julien

The Boston Bruins’ young, makeshift defense failed to come through Thursday night as the B’s were thumped, 6-2, on home ice by the Winnipeg Jets.

Without injured veterans Zdeno Chara and Dennis Seidenberg, the defensive pairings were as follows:

Torey KrugAdam McQuaid
Joe MorrowKevan Miller
Matt IrwinZach Trotman

And let’s just say, turnovers were a factor:

That was Irwin getting checked off the puck there.

“I had the puck behind the net, and I went to one side of the net, and then I just didn’t use the net to my advantage,” he explained afterwards, per CSN New England. “He got his stick in there, obviously stripped me of the puck, and we all know what happened after that. I take full blame for that one.”

But head coach Claude Julien wasn’t willing to blame inexperience for the poor outing.

“It’s not about youth. It’s not about the young D,” said Julien. “It’s about our game without the puck. I think we might have gotten a little excited here about our offense and forgot about the other part of our game.”

And to be fair, even Boston’s more accomplished d-men had their challenging moments.

Here’s Krug failing to get position on Nicolas Petan in front of the Bruins’ net:

All in all, it was a tough night.

“We’ll correct those [mistakes] tomorrow in practice,” said Irwin. “We’re a confident group in here. We liked our offense. We liked the chances we were getting. All those mistakes, D-zone, are something that we’re going to work on and get better every day.”

The Bruins host their rivals from Montreal on Saturday.