The Detroit Red Wings will have two of their highest recent picks playing at their annual Traverse City tournament.
On Thursday, the club announced that 2010 first-rounder Riley Sheahan and 2013 first-rounder Anthony Mantha will take part in the eight-team prospect tourney to be played at Center Ice Arena from Sept. 5-9.
Sheahan, 21, is perhaps best known for an incident last year in which he was arrested for “super-drunk” driving while carrying a teammate’s ID and wearing a purple Teletubby costume (click the link, it’ll all make sense.)
He’s reportedly stopped drinking since the incident and was called up by Detroit last April, playing 6:47 in a 1-0 loss to St. Louis.
Mantha, 18, was taken 20th overall at the ’13 Entry Draft, Detroit’s highest pick since taking Sheahan 21st overall (prior to Sheahan, the club’s highest pick was Jakub Kindl at No. 19 in 2005.)
While he’s a longshot to make the club, Mantha turned some heads in late July by saying he planned on making the NHL this season.
“For sure it is,” he told MLive.com, when asked if his mentality was NHL or bust for 2013-14. “If you go around the room and ask every player, I’m not sure there’s one that will tell you that’s not their goal.”
At 6-foot-4, 190 pounds, Mantha has good size. He’s also coming off a season in which he led the Quebec league in goals (50). Those two things are probably big reasons why he’s exuding confidence heading into Traverse City.
They’re just one game into their regular season, but the Buffalo Sabres have already had to shift things around in their crease.
The Sabres announced that they have placed starting goaltender Robin Lehner on injured reserve after he was knocked out of Thursday’s game with a lower-body injury.
In a corresponding move, the club has recalled Nathan Lieuwen from their AHL affiliate in Rochester.
The 24-year-old didn’t play in the NHL last season, but he did have a 1-4-0 record with a 2.98 goals-against-average and a .906 save percentage in seven games during the 2013-14 season.
Lieuwen was Buffalo’s sixth round pick, 167th overall, in the 2011 draft.
The Sabres also announced that they have loaned defenseman Jake McCabe and goaltender Linus Ullmark to the Rochester Americans (AHL).
McCabe was a healthy scratch in Thursday’s game against Ottawa, while Ullmark is being activated off I.R. after having double hip surgery during the off-season.
It looks like the Boston Bruins will be without their captain again on Saturday night.
Head coach Claude Julien told members of the media that Zdeno Chara is considered doubtful for tonight’s game against the Montreal Canadiens.
Chara suffered an upper-body injury during the preseason and he’s already been forced to miss Boston’s season opening loss to the Jets.
Per CSN, Chara says he’s improving but he won’t return to the lineup until he’s as close to 100 percent as possible.
“Every area of the injury is improving,” said Chara. “Hopefully it’s not long before I’m free of any kind of discomfort. That’s what we’re doing right now…we’re being patient. For sure you don’t want to come back, and be half of what you are…and basically hurting yourself and the team. And you’re putting yourself in a position where you could be missing more time. At this time of the season, I think it’s important to be as close as you can be to 100 percent.”
Based on the number of defensive mistakes they committed on Thursday, the Bruins need Chara back as soon as possible: