Two University of Nebraska-Omaha players were dismissed from the program after their roles in sparking a fight in a local bar.
Senior co-captain Matt White and freshman Preston Hodge were tossed from the team after starting a fight in Omaha’s Old Market district that saw them using racial slurs. Rob White of the Omaha World-Herald has the story.
Witnesses told police that the hockey players had been harassing a small group of African-Americans with racial slurs and epithets around 2 a.m. Aug. 3.
The situation escalated and Hodge allegedly pushed Lamar Triplett, 26, of Omaha. Triplett said he responded by hitting Hodge and knocking him to the ground. Hodge hit his head and appeared to lose consciousness, according to a police report.
That sounds like proper karmic payback at least.
UNO athletic director Trev Alberts issued a statement on the players’ dismissal.
“We are extremely disappointed in the actions of these students; we will not tolerate any misconduct of this nature,” he said via press release. “We will continue to work diligently to ensure our student athletes understand the importance of tolerance and respect for others.”
White was third on the team in goals last season and fourth in points. A third player, senior Alex Simonson, was suspended pending review of his role in the altercation. All three players were ticketed for suspicion of misdemeanor assault.
Following his stunning 41-game suspension, it looks like Raffi Torres has at least one former teammate in his corner.
We haven’t yet seen how the San Jose Sharks or the NHLPA are reacting to the league’s hammer-dropping decision to punish Torres for his Torres-like hit on Jakob Silfverberg, but Jason Demers decided to put in a good word for Torres tonight.
It was a simple message: “#FreeTorres.”
Demers, now of the Dallas Stars, was once with Torres and the Sharks. (In case this post’s main image didn’t make that clear enough already.)
Perhaps this will become “a thing” at some point.
So far, it seems like it’s instead “a thing (that people are making fun of).”
… You get the idea.
The bottom line is that there are some who either a) blindly support Torres because they’re Sharks fans or b) simply think that the punishment was excessive.
The most important statement came from the Department of Player Safety, though.
Those who feel as though the Boston Bruins may rebound – John Tortorella, maybe? – likely rest some of their optimism on the back of a healthy Zdeno Chara.
It’s possible that he’s merely limping into what may otherwise be a healthy 2015-16 season, but it’s definitely looking like a slow start thanks to a lower-body injury.
The latest sign of a bumpy beginning came on Monday, as several onlookers (including CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty) pointed out that Chara was listed on injured reserve.
As Haggerty notes, that move is retroactive to Sept. 24, so his status really just opens up options for the Bruins.
Still … it’s a little unsettling, isn’t it?
The Bruins likely realize that they need to transition away from their generational behemoth, but last season provided a stark suggestion that may not be ready yet. Trading Dougie Hamilton and losing Dennis Seidenberg to injury only make them more dependent on the towering 38-year-old.
This isn’t really something to panic about, yet it might leave a few extra seats open on the Bruins’ bandwagon.