Four months after trespassing arrest, Panthers re-sign Timmins

14 Comments

The Florida Panthers and forward Scott Timmins — who made headlines earlier this year when he was arrested for criminal trespassing — have agreed to a one-year deal, the club announced on Wednesday.

Timmins, 23, was at the center of a highly-publicized incident in March while playing for Florida’s AHL affiliate in San Antonio.

In case you don’t remember the specifics — Timmins allegedly breaking into someone’s house after a night of drinking — here ya go:

A San Antonio police report says Scott Timmins told them he went to the Hangar on Broadway. But it’s where he ended his night that landed him in the slammer. Police say he broke into a stranger’s home and refused to leave.

Instead of a penalty box, a Rampage player’s misconduct landed him in jail.

Timmins is accused of breaking into Benjamin Garza’s home on Ridgecrest. Garza wasn’t home at the time, but his wife and three kids woke up to the stranger on their couch.

The police report states that when Garza’s wife found Timmins sitting on her couch,  she asked him who he was, to which he responded, “Don’t worry about that.”

“He was yelling, ‘What are you doing in my house,'” said Garza. “My wife said, ‘You need to get the hell out of here,'” added Garza. She was able to escape through a back door with her kids.

She called 911 and her husband. When Garza finally faced the man who scared the daylights out of his children, he told him “you’re lucky I wasn’t here because I would’ve put a bullet between your eyes and it would’ve been over for you.”

The police report went on to say Timmins was so heavily intoxicated he couldn’t hold his balance, and didn’t remember how he had entered the house.

Timmins has appeared in 24 career contests for the Panthers, five of which came during the 2013 season in which he went scoreless, with four PIM and a minus-2 rating.

A member of the OHL Windsor squad that won back-to-back Memorial Cups in 2009 and 2010, Timmins was Florida’s sixth-round pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

Sabres hire Sexton, Greeley as assistant GMs

Getty
Leave a comment

It was reported Saturday and made official today — Randy Sexton is joining the Buffalo Sabres as an assistant general manager. He will also serve as GM of the AHL’s Rochester Americans.

Also joining the Sabres as assistant GM is Steve Greeley, who spent the past two seasons as assistant director of player personnel with the New York Rangers.

“Randy and I developed a positive working relationship during our time in Pittsburgh and I think his experience and insight will be advantageous for our front office,” said Sabres GM Jason Botterill in a release. “In Steve, we have hired a talented hockey executive who will offer unique insight to our organization. They both have experience at all levels of the game and we think they will be valuable assets for the Buffalo Sabres moving forward.”

Sexton’s job with Rochester will be especially important for what Botterill is trying to do with the Sabres.

“I think one of the successes of the organization that I’m coming from is the relationship between Wilkes-Barre and Pittsburgh,” Botterill said when he was hired in May. “We want to re-strengthen the relationship with Rochester and Buffalo.”

The last two years, Sexton has been the Penguins’ director of amateur scouting.

Report: Elliott making ‘tentative’ plans to live in Winnipeg

Getty
Leave a comment

The talk of Brian Elliott joining the Jets isn’t going away.

This morning, Rick Ralph of TSN 1290 tweeted that Elliott has “been making tentative accommodation plans for Winnipeg.”

The 32-year-old goalie is an unrestricted free agent, and the Jets’ goaltending was once again a sore spot last season.

“We’re going to a take a look at whatever is available to us and if there’s a good opportunity there that can help us, we’ll jump at it,” GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said Saturday at the draft, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “We’ve got a list of names lined up to reach out to their representatives and see if we’re a fit for them and as far as they want to consider us.”

Read more: Is Brian Elliott a fit for Winnipeg

The Jets have Michael Hutchinson under contract for one more year before he can become unrestricted.

Connor Hellebuyck, meanwhile, is a restricted free agent. The Jets are still high on him, but perhaps rushed him into the No. 1 job last year.

“We want forward progress for the team,” said head coach Paul Maurice. “Either Connor or Michael has to step up on that or we’ve got to get some help for those guys.”

Elliott, of course, had a tough first year in Calgary. The Flames then went a different way by acquiring Mike Smith from Arizona.

‘That’s definitely a huge option for us’: Brian Boyle wants to go back to Tampa

Getty
2 Comments

Brian Boyle spent almost three full years with the Tampa Bay Lightning before being traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs at last March’s trade deadline.

The veteran center liked his stint in Tampa so much that he’s willing to go back there when he becomes a free agent in less than week.

“We love Tampa,” said Boyle, per the Tampa Bay Times. “If Tampa wanted to work out a deal, that’s definitely a huge option for us. That’s something that I’ve kind of always thought about. I haven’t closed the door on anything.”

Boyle enjoyed quite a bit of success with the Bolts. During his time there, he scored at least 13 goals in each of his three seasons, which isn’t bad considering he was more of a bottom-six player when he was there.

It’s unclear if the Bolts would be willing to take him back at this point, but a big factor will likely be his contract demands.

“(Tampa) is a great place to be, great place to start a family. And, honestly, we’ll see what they say. You want to be wanted. That’s the other part.”

The Lightning have just over $23 million in cap space right now. That seems like a good amount, but they still have to sign Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat and Andrej Sustr. It’s also pretty clear that they’re in the market for a top four defenseman, and that won’t come cheap. As of right now, they only have three blue liners on one-way contracts.

The 32-year-old is coming off a contract that paid him $2 million per season. He should be able to fetch a higher number if he hits the open market.

‘Canes re-sign Masterton Trophy finalist Derek Ryan to one-year deal

Getty
1 Comment

The Carolina Hurricanes have reportedly taken care of some business on Monday morning, as they’ve re-signed forward Derek Ryan to a one-year deal worth $1.425 million, per TSN’s Frank Seravalli.

Update: The Hurricanes have confirmed the news.

The 30-year-old had 11 goals and 29 points in 67 games during his first full NHL season.

Ryan’s journey to the NHL is a great story.

He played three full seasons of junior hockey with the WHL’s Spokane Chiefs (2004-2007) before joining the University of Alberta hockey program for four years (2007-2011). Once he completed his Canadian University hockey eligibility, Ryan went on to play three seasons of pro hockey in the Austrian League and one year over in Sweden. He came back to North America for the 2015-16 season, where he played 70 games with AHL Charlotte and six games with the ‘Canes.

Ryan was a finalist for the Masterton Trophy, which is awarded to “the National Hockey League player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.”

“I feel a little out of place,” Ryan told NHL.com during the 2017 NHL Awards. “A couple of years ago, I was battling my way through the European leagues and all of a sudden here I am at the NHL Awards and just kind of taking it all in.”