Four months after trespassing arrest, Panthers re-sign Timmins


The Florida Panthers and forward Scott Timmins — who made headlines earlier this year when he was arrested for criminal trespassing — have agreed to a one-year deal, the club announced on Wednesday.

Timmins, 23, was at the center of a highly-publicized incident in March while playing for Florida’s AHL affiliate in San Antonio.

In case you don’t remember the specifics — Timmins allegedly breaking into someone’s house after a night of drinking — here ya go:

A San Antonio police report says Scott Timmins told them he went to the Hangar on Broadway. But it’s where he ended his night that landed him in the slammer. Police say he broke into a stranger’s home and refused to leave.

Instead of a penalty box, a Rampage player’s misconduct landed him in jail.

Timmins is accused of breaking into Benjamin Garza’s home on Ridgecrest. Garza wasn’t home at the time, but his wife and three kids woke up to the stranger on their couch.

The police report states that when Garza’s wife found Timmins sitting on her couch,  she asked him who he was, to which he responded, “Don’t worry about that.”

“He was yelling, ‘What are you doing in my house,'” said Garza. “My wife said, ‘You need to get the hell out of here,'” added Garza. She was able to escape through a back door with her kids.

She called 911 and her husband. When Garza finally faced the man who scared the daylights out of his children, he told him “you’re lucky I wasn’t here because I would’ve put a bullet between your eyes and it would’ve been over for you.”

The police report went on to say Timmins was so heavily intoxicated he couldn’t hold his balance, and didn’t remember how he had entered the house.

Timmins has appeared in 24 career contests for the Panthers, five of which came during the 2013 season in which he went scoreless, with four PIM and a minus-2 rating.

A member of the OHL Windsor squad that won back-to-back Memorial Cups in 2009 and 2010, Timmins was Florida’s sixth-round pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

Report: Islanders cut first-rounder Barzal from camp

Mathew Barzal
Getty Images
Leave a comment

It seems Mathew Barzal has played in his last game in a New York Islanders’ uniform for a little while.

Barzal took part in the Islanders’ preseason finale against the Washington Capitals on Sunday, but after that contest the Islanders decided to return him to WHL Seattle, per Newsday’s Arthur Staple.

He was taken with the 16th overall pick in 2015 NHL Entry Draft. That selection was well-traveled as it originally belonged to the Pittsburgh Penguins, but was involved in the David Perron trade and then moved to the Islanders as part of Edmonton’s deal to get Griffin Reinhart.

Barzal is noteworthy for his skill and speed, but he may have slipped in the draft due to a knee injury he sustained during the 2014-15 campaign.

The Islanders also reassigned Kirill Petrov, Kevin Czuczman, Scott Mayfield, and Adam Pelech to the AHL’s Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

Torres offered in-person hearing, potentially setting up long suspension

Torres hit

What will Raffi Torres get this time?

The 33-year-old forward that has become known primarily for his controversial hits has once again put himself in the sights of the NHL’s Department of Players Safety. They confirmed that he was offered an in-person hearing following his hit on Jakub Silfverberg Saturday night. He declined the opportunity to meet with them face-to-face, but the offer itself is an important detail because it gives the league the option to suspend him for more than five games.

It certainly seems like the stage is set for a lengthy suspension. While Torres is not considered a repeat offender as his last suspension came more than 18 months ago, the NHL still retains the right to consider his history when deciding on this matter.

Among other incidents, he was once was banned from 25 games for his hit on Marian Hossa in 2012, although it was later reduced to 21 contests after an appeal. The NHL found that Torres was guilty of breaking three rules for that hit; namely interference, charging, and illegally hitting the head. The NHL is reviewing Torres’ latest incident for the same three violations.

You can see the hit below:

And here it is slowed down:

Torres got a match penalty and Silfverberg left the game. Fortunately, Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau said that Silfverberg could have returned, but was kept out for precautionary reasons.